I am not a mechanic of any kind. My Father-in-law used to say that it was dangerous to let me pick up a tool. That wasn’t altogether true, I did know how to remove the valve covers on my 57 Chevy Convertible and adjust the solid lifters every couple of thousand miles, you know, with every oil change.
Anyway, I was brave and tried to find the most comfortable place to work. I found a shady spot at the bottom of the deck steps and went to work. Using my head for once, I laid everything down in the order that I removed it, screws and bolts and springs included. (See, I do learn from bad experiences.)
I managed to get it all apart. Well, at least as far as I was going to go. Here is a picture after it got it apart:
Took a short break for lunch and went back out to get at it again. Of course there was no more shade, so had to work in the bright sun. In the above picture, I was starting to loose the shade when I stopped for lunch. In the picture below, you can see the difference, all bright and sunny:
I couldn’t detect anything wrong or out of the ordinary until I took the carburetor apart. Inside were funny green crystallized deposits that crumbled into green sand like granules when I touched them.
I cleaned it all out, used an old tooth brush and paperclip, and sprayed WD40 through all the holes and the jet to clean them out. Here are a couple of pictures of the culprit:
I almost got it together and dropped a screw down inside and had to take part of it apart again to reclaim the screw. A minor setback that seemed worse than it was (grin). OK, got it together, filled it with gas and oil, and pulled the starter cord. I couldn’t believe it; it started on the first pull and ran like it was new. My Father-in-Law would have been proud of me, I am. . .