Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wondering about retirement.

I have a cousin who is contemplating retiring a little early.  All I can say is if you can afford it, do it!!  It is nice to not have to get up early and worry about getting a job done, head off to work, fight the traffic and the weather, help your boss give you ulcers, and all that other good stuff that goes with having a job.  Oh yes, there are some good points like the income you are making, the fellowship of other workers, and the wonderful interactions with your boss.  Of course I wouldn't know about all that.  According to my wife, I haven't had a real job for many, many years.  Yes, she is right.  I have worked for my self for a long time, but by doing that, it actually gave me many, many bosses.

My first job lasted 17 years, but all the rest of the "full time" jobs I held went away because the companies were closing their doors.  I guess I could say I was a part of putting a lot of companies out of business (grin).  No, none of them were my fault.  I guess I am getting off the main subject, my cousin thinking about early retirement.  And again I say, go ahead.  Life is too short to work hard for someone else.  I still do some work now and then, but I like to do it and will continue to do so if some is available when I am not planning on traveling.  There have been times when I had to spend days of my vacation on my laptop doing a rush job for a good customer.

OK, I have a present for my cousin and any of you who may be thinking about leaving the rat race behind.  This present is a sweet treat that tells about retirement:


Here is a close up of what it says.  Just some simple little rhymes, but they are so true.  Don't you think so?

Now, all of you who are retired, do something special today.  All you poor people who still hold jobs, the weekend is not too far away.  No matter if you are working or not, just have a great day, you hear?

11 comments:

  1. Retired and loved every minute since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retirement is pretty cool! Been there for a while now!

    I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, for the last few years work has sucked like a big black hole. I always wondered what it would be like to have a job you loved, where you made a difference in someone's life. Like taking the widow woman next door a load of firewood on a cold day kind of thing. An all consuming passion, I've heard it said. Not just a paycheck. Sounds insane, don't it?
    Anyhow, what flavor is that sucker? I got one foot out the door and as Red Green says about retirement.... you wake up in the morning, and you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble, I love my free time, too, but I also like to do small simple jobs. Don't want anymore of those big projects.

    HJ, I know what you mean, trouble is I only get S.S. as my retirement.

    Jimkabob, this sucker is for you. It's flavor tastes like freedom. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dizzy I have been retired for many years,I had two hats as a professional an a trade .of the two that was the most rewarding was the trade(electrician).I was a real-estate broker for many years which was the most profitable in money.As a journeyman electrician I was a part of building this country I along with a whole lot of other people take a lot of pride in what we accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justastick, you had a great career. I had a real estate liscens in PA. My sells pitch was "You don't want this house, do you?".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know when I ever found time to work. My days are full.

    I've friends figuring out how to live on less money so they can retire early. Life is too short to spend it all at work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sixbears, I know what you mean and when you get to my age time goes by way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is 57 and is counting the days until 62 when he will retire. No, make that counting the hours. We are quite anxious to be able to do some extended travel. There are places in the country we are dying to see, but a one or two week vacation just won't get us there with time left over to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dizzy -
    Since Hubby is 10 years older than I, as I approach 62 early next year I'm watching his health more than ever. He is still robust, plays golf 4 or so times a week, and is comfortable keeping the 2 year old grandson on his own. And I enjoy my job - little stress, free time to read on the web, and good insurance. But, if I see that Hubby is heading downhill, it'll be time to take the early path. Gotta have some quality travel and together time while we still can. Insurance will be a BIG factor in the next few years, and taxes going up, so if I can hang in until 66 (full retirement), that's what I'll do. Maybe 65 - the difference in SS can't be that much, and we have some savings. We'll just spend our kid's inheritance ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, I will be 70 next Valentines day, and still can't seem to find enough time to travel like I ant to.

    Baby Sis, sounds like you got a plan. Stick to it.

    ReplyDelete