Wondering about wild grapes

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wondering about the repairs.


I spent most of the day getting broken pieces off the RV and the rest trying to find parts.  I can see so far that finding parts will be a problem, most stuff, like the power step system is sold as an expensive total unit.  I also found out when trying to find sockets to remove nuts and bolts, that they are metric.  I looked the company up on the inter-net that made the step unit and it is here in the U.S. so why use metric?  They do sell some parts on line, like the gear that the shoulder bolt holds on (may need that, too), but the bolt is not listed.  I tried to call but was answered by a computer, must have been past closing time, and it was, at least here and the east coast.  Will do some more research today and make some calls.  I did go to an RV repair place and they took a picture of the bolt and told me to call back with the make and model number of the unit.  I am going to tell them to hold up until I see if I can get the broke off part out.

I got the screws for the lighted hand grab.  Since it was knocked crooked and the screws were pulled out at an angle, I will put a piece of cording in the screw holes to act as filler for the threads to make sure they get a tight grip.  After I get it back on I will take a picture of it for you.

Enough sitting in front of the computer, got to go get to work.  Or, I guess I could call BillyBob to come and help.  Then it would never get done, we would just go fishing (grin).  If you have been keeping up with his blog, he has worse RV repair problems than I do and I don’t envy him at all at this time, although I have envied his life style.  You all have a great day now, you hear?

9 comments:

  1. Somewhere down in your area of Texas there is an RV wrecking/salvage yard. I'd get on the phone or do an internet search for it . Then take some hand tools and a list and go just wander around to see what you can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, yep I heard of that place. Sounds like double the work to me and right now I have more work lined up on the RV, the house, the yard, and also I want to get everything out of my office (hard job) and take the rug out and put down laminent flooring to match the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I got rid of my RV or I'd probably have more problems than you and Billy Bob put together. And I can't fix anything on an RV whereas you guys are supreme fixers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DD i really do hate to hear about all your repairs. It was just the way you wrote it that hit me as so funny. Can i help? Most junk yards would take the parts off for you, do on cars. Soo,,it might cost a bit more, but the part is there. Maybe all of them. You take care of yourself,,DO NOT overdo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, Billy Bob is the fixer. I just try to fix things myself to save money and some times it winds up costing me more. My father-in-law always said to run away if Dick picked up a tool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've a cousin with a complete machine shop in his garage. Nice when parts are unavailable. He can make just about anything from nothing. Good luck on your parts quest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After watching Red Green this weekend I've got a solution for the tight spots you get into with the RV,...curb feelers. Get a couple dozen and afix (ducttape?) them to various spots on the RV's sides. When you hear'em twanging, go the other way. On the serious side, I got access to a lot of fastners, brackets and bolts, let me know if I can be of any help. I guess since all automotive parts are metric, they make RVs metric,too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sixbears, I used to have a friend that had a machine shop. He sure did come in handy now and then. He passed away at a young age with a brain tumor. We used to go fishing together at times.

    Jimhabob, Red Green could fix or make anything with duct tape. I loved that show. If i can't get it fixed quickly tomorrow, I will pull the assembly off and take it to the RV repair place.

    ReplyDelete