Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, September 13, 2010

Digestion

You know, I haven’t had any indigestion since I started on this healthy diet way back a few years ago. Makes one wonder if everyone ate the right stuff, a lot of drug companies would go out of business.

Anyway, I was wondering about that when I remembered reading some facts about digestion in “Discover” magazine. I am going to list some of them here today. I learned a few things and verified some I already knew.

_____________

The gastrointestinal tract is a 30-foot tube running from your mouth to your anus. Topologically, (I had to look this word up, didn't mean what I thought) your gut has the same shape as those doughnuts you regularly pass through it.

The small intestine contains so many folds-down to the microscopic level-that its total surface area is about 2700 square feet, enough to cover a tennis court.

Maybe it’s just the company. Tryptophan, an amino acid found in turkey, is often blamed for post-meal drowsiness, but the proteins in the meat largely neutralize it.

Or maybe it is those dancing sugarplums. Gorging on high-glycemic foods (lots of sugar and starch) can concentrate tryptophan in your blood plasma, boosting its effect.

Most of the body’s serotonin, a major mood-influencing hormone, is made not in the head but in the stomach lining.

The calories you burn simply digesting food account for 5 to 15 percent of your energy expenditure. Protein and alcohol require the most energy.

Formula for a cheap date: Women produce only 60 percent as much alcohol dehydrogenase, the enzyme that neutralizes booze, as men do.

Your stomach’s primary digestive juice, hydrochloric acid, can dissolve metal, but plastic toys that go down the hatch will come out the other end as good as new.

Same with crayons, hair, and chewing gum-all of which will pass through within a few days, no matter what you’ve heard.

You, however, are easily digestible. The pain of pancreatitis comes from fat-digesting enzymes leaking from the pancreatic duct system into surrounding tissues, literally eating you from within.

Water, enzymes, base salts, mucus, and bile create about two gallons of liquid that enters the large intestine. Only six tablespoons or so comes out.

Without the colon’s marvelous ability to recover bodily fluids, animals could not survive on dry land.

This last one is for Billy-Bob’s red-neck relatives:

The loudest human burp ever recorded-107.1 decibels, about as loud as a chain saw from three feet-was produced by Londoner Paul Hunn in September 2008. On TV, no less.

Well now you know more than you wanted to know. There were more listed but some, I thought, were too yucky. (or is it yuckie?)

8 comments:

  1. Whew, too much information this early. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you want a big ole breakfast, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey if'n yur gut can absorb metal, then why did them pennies and other assorted coins I swallered back in my younger days just keep on going and come out the other end?

    Interesting, my verification word is outiors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Bob, 1st, the pennies didn't stay in your stomache long enough. Of course with the shrinking dollar, maybe they would disolve now.

    2nd, it seems that the verification words match a lot of times. I have noticed that.

    Thanks for stoping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of that information is very hard to digest DD...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea FT, you got to hold your nose and gulp it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I am reading it while having breakfast.

    I believe we should all eat seasonally, as naturally intended. And by that I mean the season where you live. Hahaha.

    I only shop once a week when the farmers market is on. Local farmers sell their goods they've grown themselves. It's seasonal and if something isn't available, we go without it. We don't head down to the supermarket and pick up an imported product.

    The benefit is that we eat healthier (I too do not experience indigestion unless we eat out with friends, where I experience both burping and farting. Coke Cola makes my fart stink, most other times it is odor free). Sorry, had to share that, I guess the subject calls for it. Hahahaha.

    The other benefit is that you keep your local business/economy happy. There's nothing in the supermarket I need to eat that I can't find at the farmers market.

    Milk, meat, fruit and veg. Skin care, dog treats, bread.

    Where we need to go to the supermarket for is things like toilet paper, flour for baking and items that have been manufactured that farmers just don't sell. However, our reliance on these things is so scarce that we only go to the local supermarket every 4-8 weeks.

    The verdict?

    We're healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pipsqueek, sounds like you are healthy. Yes, I agree about buying your food at a farmers' market. I am glad that most of your "toots" are oder free. . .:)

    ReplyDelete