Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Blastoff I Remember.- Update

Back on July 16, 1959 1969 a Saturn V rocket launched from Kennedy Space Center, it was Apollo 11 and carried the first men to step foot on the moon.  I remember that launch and the landing and the first two men to walk there, Neil Armstrong ad Buzz Aldrin.  They stepped on the moon four days after they left Earth.  The space race was won, and it laid the foundation for flights to come.

Dang, I just noticed that the last sentence above was a one line poem (grin).

OK, how many are like me and remember that historic launch, moon landing, moon walk (not like Michael Jackson's), and all the rocks that they brought back.  In fact, I even touched one of those moon rocks.

I better not forget the fellow who stayed with the moon orbiter, the Command Module Pilot, Michael Collins.  Well, that was my little bit of history for today and I hope it brought back some memories for any of you who are old enough to remember it.  Now have a great day, you hear?
****************
Correction, I made a typo in my first line and my friend Erma caught it.  The date should be 1969, not 1959.  Sorry for the error.

19 comments:

  1. OF COURSE I remember! Shown in black and white. Another factoid is that while we were planting the american flag on this side, the Russians were doing the same on the other side of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Sputnik, the first orbiting satellite. That was a long, long time ago, back in 1957.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, and my friend Erma, let me know. BTW, it was a typo.

      Delete
  3. I remember those events but couldn't remember the year they happened. Now I'm so excited to see those photos of Pluto, and the fact that the U.S. is the first country to "visit" all nine planets! I wish some of those brains that got us there would go to work fixing things here on earth now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember staying up for the moon landing and first step man. I filmed it on my Bell and Howell super 8 camera. And yes it was in black and white.

    Unfortunately I was on hand on top of my companies building in Cape Canaveral for the Challenger tragedy too. Had a friend working on the subs rounding up the debris.

    And I remember the 1957 Sputnik announcement on the radio while I was eating breakfast to go to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember Sputnik and Muttnik back when I was a kid in Junior High.

      Delete
  5. I remember the moon landing. I was patiently awaiting the birth of my son and was walking down the street to a park located on San Francisco Bay. Also remember when Sputnik went flying over back in 1957. Could even see it blinking in the night sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had come over to visit with us and to see their first grandson and we watched the landing together. After that first son of ours grew up, got married, and had a son of his own, he got killed in a highway accident. Still miss him.

      Delete
  6. My son's birthday is July 20... and I remember that moon walk... we were celebrating Dan's birthday... and the space success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be able to double up on celebrations.

      Delete
  7. I remember it, as well. My grandmother, who came to live with us, said she had seen it all - travelled by covered wagon, and saw a man walk on the moon. She was born in 1884, and died a happy and well-loved old lady in 1972.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! From covered wagons to walking on the moon. Just think what all the changes she saw. The same with my grandpa who was an engineer on a steam engine and lived to see the space race.

      Delete
  8. My husband and I were little "worker bees" in the space program. He worked for Goddard in Maryland and then transferred to the space center in Florida in 1969 where he was involved in tracking and communications. I worked in a department that ordered rocket parts. I could walk out on my back porch to hear and watch rocket launches. When I left they took me on a tour of the training center for the astronauts and let me get in the training module. It was a tight compartment with a view of the planetary system and it was incredibly comfortable. I never got to see or touch a moon rock though . . . maybe they kept them in Houston. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a very interesting working career, for sure. Did you ever consider writing a book?

      Delete
  9. In 1959 was the year i married, and i knew that when we landed on the moon, i had 2 kids already,,,sooooo... had to be 1969.

    ReplyDelete