Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, November 15, 2010

Wondering what makes a good salesman.

I was just sitting there watching HEE-HAW last night. (see my old blog: http://dizzydick.blogspot.com/2010/10/wandering-about-hee-haw.html ) Yea, I watch it every chance I get, so call me an old hay seed, go right ahead, I don’t care. . .

Anyway, there was a one line joke that stuck in my head. One of those perky HEE-HAW girls said, “He could sell the feathers off of a rubber chicken”. Of course I laughed, wouldn’t you? Then they had that skit where Junior Samples plays a used car salesman. So, I got wondering, what does make a good salesman. . .?

My Dad was a salesman, although he called himself just an “order taker”. He worked for the H.J. Heinz Co. and sold to all the independent grocery stores in and around our area. Everyone liked my Dad and I worshiped the ground that he walked on. He was honest and put the good of his customers’ ahead of any sell. You can not be unsuccessful for long if you do that.

So what makes a good salesman? First of all, he / she have to be a likable person. Someone who genuinely likes and respects other people. Most of us can see through an act or a front that some put on. You know the type of salesman I am talking about; the one that doesn’t give a hoot about you but just loves your money. Known a few of those.

I have seen sales people act bored, or act like they are doing you a favor and they are tired of it, or just simply are greedy and would do or say anything to make the sale. Then there are the ones that are more interested in making sure that you, the customer, gets what he wants and needs without going over budget. This last type is what I call a good salesman. They have to get to know a little about you first to make sure that they sell you what you really need at a price that you can afford.

I have known salesmen like that, but it seems they are becoming fewer and further between now a days. Customers today, with the internet, should be much better informed and should know the price range and quality of a product before he attempts to purchase it.

I tried to be a sales person in the past. My opening line was, “You don’t want this do you?” Most of the time the answer was “no”. I then studied and got a real estate salesman’s license and tried to sell real estate part time. Good thing I didn’t give up my full-time job. I would always point out all the faults with the properties. They appreciated it and I actually sold one or two listings, but decided that selling was not for me.

Enough of that. I watched the final NHRA Top Fuel Drag Race of the season. Up until this last weekend, no racer had enough points to clinch the national championship. So, it was all decided this weekend.

The Pro-Stock championship was won by Anderson during the time trials the day before the actual race. John Force came from behind in the Top Fuel Funny Car category to win his 15th National Championship, more than any other driver and at 61 years old, he was also the oldest driver to ever win.

On the other end of the spectrum was LE Tonglet, a 20 year old rooky who came behind to win the Pro-Stock Motorcycle category award. The youngest to do so.

In the Top Fuel Dragster category, Larry Dixon won.
Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you to all the drivers who made this season the greatest racing event ever.

4 comments:

  1. It's simple, a Good Salesman can give their pitch with a straight face while looking you straight in the eye,with out laughing!!

    How to tell if a salesman is lieing? His lips are moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Ben, most of them anyway. Remember the vacuum salesmen that came around to everyone's house? Electrolux, Kirby, etc were demonstrated in the home. One super salesman wouldn't let the lady of the house get a word in edge wise, although she tried. He dumped a big bag of mixed dirt on the floor and said that if his vacuum couln't pick it all up he would eat it.
    Then he asked where to plug it in at. She said that she had been trying to tell him that they didn't have electricity. He had a not so good lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahhahahahahahhahahaha.

    I love hearing stories like that because I dislike salesmen just like that.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pip, glad you got a chuckle out of it.

    By the way, we have an Australian (David Grubnic) who drives a top ruel car up here, and a lot of the drivers from here go down under for races there during our off season. Have you ever gone to a top fuel race? Amazing, over 300 mph in less than 3.8 seconds.

    ReplyDelete