Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, July 29, 2013

Wondering about trumpet vines.

All over my place we have lots of trumpet vines climbing up trees, bushes, and other vines.  I noticed some hanging up over the dogs' fence.  Some may call them a nuisance, but I think they are another of Mother Natures beautiful things in her garden here on Earth.  As you know from some of my older blogs, I just love wild flowers.  They are special because no one planted them and they take care of themselves; they are wild.  These flowering vines are not rare, in fact they grow all over the southeastern U.S.    I am not the only one that likes them.  The first English colonist loved their beauty and therefore, the plant made its way back to England.  How about I show you some pictures that I just took:





As you can see, they are in different stages of bloom on the same vine.  I took all these pictures from the same place.  The colors vary from orange to crimson, depending on the age of the bloom.  I hope you enjoyed a little beauty from my back yard today and that it helped to make your day just a little bit brighter.  So, have a great day, you hear?

11 comments:

  1. Like those too, but have hesitated to put them in my yard, because they do kinda take over. I had to get rid of a vine that had big blue morning glory looking flowers, but went wild, the vine itself stopped my mower one time, so tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind flowers or plants, cultivated or wild, but I hate to see anyone bring in a non-native plant to an area. So many times the newcomer is invasive and crowds out what was there naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trouble, we have had problems in the past with wild hogs eating and tearing up everything we planted. So that was a good excuse for me not to plant anything.

    Jill, I lome most anything that grow wild (with a few exceptions).

    Gypsy, That works for animals and people, too. Look what happened to the native indians in America after the white man invaded. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the Europeans were like kudzu!

      Delete
    2. When I worked a consulting job in N.C., the kudzu had just about taken over everything.

      Delete
  4. Back in Ohio there is an arbor that Bill built for me... to hang a swing (porch swing) underneath. I wanted trumpet creeper to attract the hummingbirds. We bought 6 plants and put 3 on each side of the arbor wanting them to grow up the trellises. We go back there for a few days each year and now, 15+ years later they are gloriously shading that swing... It makes me happy if we're there when they're in bloom. (the vines are as thick as my wrist) I know they are "just a weed" to most folks, but to me, they are one of the prettiest wildflowers around! Love your photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Dizzy, them vines kill'n the trees an' break'n down fences. Was me, I would get me a couple gallon gas an' de-vine the whole place. Save the trees ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Odd Essay, They are very pretty, but I didn't know that they would servive in Ohio. I lived in PA for 30 some years and never saw any up there and I spent a lot of my time in the woods.

    B.B., everything has a good and a bad side. I have other vines that are much worse than these that try to kill my oak trees. I have cut some of them off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love wildflowers. I agree about why ~ "they take care of themselves; they are wild"

    love seeing nature growing out of rocks or where ~ how did they get here?~ places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, Mother Nature decorates my back yard.

      Delete