Wondering about wild grapes

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Wondering about bugs.

Bugs are everywhere and there are a lot of them.  True bugs make up about 25,000 different species.  They have adapted to life here on earth rather well and will probably be the last living things left at the end.  Most bugs live on plant saps and fruit juices but there are some that live on the body fluids of other insects, animals, and us.  I really don't like to play host to any bug that wants to eat me!!  But, they are quick and persistent and do sometimes get their fill of me; or to be more correct, my body fluid.

I heard of study one time on cockroaches.  They were even able to withstand very high concentrations of radioactivity.  Just think, if there ever was a nuclear war, cockroaches would be one of the few species to survive unharmed!!  At least the ones outside of ground zero.  Bugs were here before man and probably will be here after man.  But, on the negative side, they are relatively short lived.  No, not the species but the individuals.  So, keep on slapping those pesky mosquitoes who are trying to feast on your body fluids and try to have a very nice day, you hear?

12 comments:

  1. I found a wasp inside on the kitchen window screen 1st thing this morning. He has now gone to his heavenly reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly know how to survive! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them this year, either!

    Mean 'skeeters out there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gypsy, Now is that anyway to treat a house guest? Oh that's right, he wasn't a guest. (grin)

    H.J., Yep, and those 'skeeeters are caring some bad diseases. I don't mind them bitings as much if they don't leave any smaller "bugs" in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has worked in a food manufacturing plant for 40 years. It's a wonder to me that he has never brought any cockroach eggs into our house on his shoe soles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, Whe I lived in Pennsylavania it you had roaches in your house it was a disgrace. Down here in Texas nearly everyone has roaches. We have different kinds, some are huge. If you step on the bigs one you skid right across the floor. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had "waterbugs" in our basement... my mom would have had a fit if she knew they were really cockroaches. In Florida those huge Palmetto bugs turned out to be cockroaches as well. It's funny how we "disguise" the names of things to avoid embarrassment... probably why people call head lice "cooties". I guess that sounds better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how people try to white wash things with better sounding names. I am not old, I am mature. . .

      Delete
  7. I don't have too many mossies here at this time of the year but there's a few little field mice who try to get in to the warm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been dry around here and even though there is still water in my swamp, there has not been a lot of mosquitoes. I am not sure why, maybe the fish, bats, and frogs eat all the larva, but I don't care. It is nice not to have clouds of them.

      Delete
  8. . . . and because of their short lifespans, they can evolve before your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, cockroaches used to be a shameful bug if you had it in your house...people considered you to be dirty.

    Not so in Houston, Miami and coastal cities. You can be extremely clean and those suckers still invade your home!

    ReplyDelete