Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wondering where everything came from.

Have you ever looked at the periodic table and wondered where all the chemical elements came from?

Well, some of the lower atomic weight elements were made by typical stars in their stellar furnaces.  I think most of us knew that.  But what about the higher atomic weight elements, where were they made if a typical star doesn't manufacture them?  The answer is a supernova.  A supernova is when a large star's internal furnace dies down to a level that the eternal pressure is less than the gravitational pull and the star implodes inward which causes a horrific explosion and all that is left afterwards is a neutron star no bigger than New Jersey, but a teacup full of the stuff it is made of would be so dense and heavy that it would fall through the Earth to its center.

Below is a before and after picture of a supernova explosion.  The picture on the left is the bright supernova and the picture on the right is after it died down.


I could go on and on about this subject, but I will not because I am sure that I would bore you all.  Now I want you all to know that you are my bright and shining star, so go brighten up the day and I hope your day will be just fantastic.

12 comments:

  1. We are truly made of star stuff. Pretty neat when you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, didn't know all that. Our day is still cleaning out the house, but the sun is shining today and "that" brightens up my world. Just love that light!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost me back there,,,maybe in the 2nd sentence...hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sixbears, yes we are, and like people, there are all kinds of stars.

    Tammy F, Sun is shining here, too.

    Trouble, dang, I was trying to loose you with the first sentence (just kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch all that stuff on the Science Channel, but have a hard time wrapping my brain around it. I'm still working on quantum string theory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much out there in the skies that we cannot even conceive of. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that where that heavy stuff, GOLD , comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gypsy, I do not know anyone who understands string theory. I sure don't.

    Jill, I search the sky and research and read Astronomy (magazine) cover to cover every month. Look back in my blogs, I have posted pictures of my big 16" telescope. That is the mirror size.

    Jimkabob, everything has come from stars or exploding stars. Now, you tell me where the big bang came from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I "learned" about this and similar stuff in school. Can't comprehend it now any more than I did then.
    Not to say that I don't still enjoy trying....

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, I sure enjoy looking at the stars and reading about them, although I don't completely understand it all. I am still in awe when I look up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justastick, No, it ain't deep it is high up in the sky.

    ReplyDelete