Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wondering about Houston

We drove through Houston yesterday to go look at some things that we are interested in. Yep, we drove right through the middle of town. Went down I-45 to where it intersected with 59 and took 59 on south past Beltway 8. We returned via the same route. Now, I know better than to take that route at certain times of the day, but we guessed correctly and got through without much traffic or any holdup both going down and coming back. Every year or so I need to drive through Houston just to verify that I live in a better, quieter, and slower paced place out here in what used to be country (grin).



Here are a couple of pictures that my wife took as we drove through down town on our way back home:
I have to admit that Houston has things that we don’t up here in Cut and Shoot. It has some of the best hospitals and doctors, business and industry of all kinds, and almost anything you want to purchase. It also has a lot of people and traffic and noise. Living where I do gives me the benefits of country life but close enough to the big city for things that I can’t find in the country.



BTW, a strong cold front came through here about 02:00 this morning. It is going to be really cold over this coming night. May even bump freezing by early Friday morning. Wow, from the 80’s yesterday to winter today. That’s Texas for ya.


You all have a great day now, you hear?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the skyline pictures. Having lived and worked down there back in the 70's I USED to know that area well. But it grew so fast, last time I was through there about 5 or 6 years ago I didn't recognize most of the new freeways and toll roads. ( I did fire up Google Earth and look around just now. Sure had grown for sure)
    Glad you got back to your compound safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've a sister-in-law who lives in the Houston suburbs so I have to drive through it once in a great while. It's not my kind of place. There are worse places to drive, but not many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DD, Austin is the 3rd worst city to drive in, in the USA!! And this little spot in the road, will be #1 tomorrow,,,day before deer season opens,,,hahahaha,,,not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you had stayed on the 45 going south toward Galveston, you could have stopped by my house and I would have fixed you some fresh coffee!

    I live just a few blocks off Beltway 8, just past Almeda Mall!

    Glad you made it back home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben, I don’t get down there very often so I notice changes just in the short time that has elapsed since my last trip through the same area. So I can imagine how things must look different to you.

    6bears, it wasn’t bad yesterday, but we went through at 10:00 and 14:30 so not to get in any traffic. To me, Detroit was the worst place to drive in rush hour.

    Trouble, I know what you are taking about. The Friday before the “first day”, I45 and 59 are bumper to bumper with vehicles headed north.

    Hermit, dang, as much as I love coffee, I would have gone that far out of my way. Hey, I will coming back one day, is the offer still open?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can probably guess what you were interested in?
    I-45 and 59 at Beltway was the clue.
    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete