Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, December 6, 2010

Wondering how mad he really was.

Since my last blog was about ice, I think since it is close to freezing out side this morning, I will stay with ice as a subject.

Way back when I was a teenager, I was head of our youth group at church. We had a meeting once a week in the evening. One cold winter evening, I borrowed my Dad’s car and had to go and pick up some other teenagers, the last two lived about 3 or 4 miles from the church. I was on my way to pick up the remaining two when a deer ran across the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and a patch of “black” ice at the same time. Spun around and landed in the ditch and snow bank.

There was a farm house less than hundred yards down the road, so I walked through the deep snow to the house and called my Dad and another friend. Dad said that he would call a wrecker and have the wrecker driver pick him up and I told Dad that I had would call my friend to come get us, the other two, and take us to the church.

My friend arrived and picked us up and went on out the road to pick up the last two. On the way back, I saw the car was pulled out of the snow and ditch but no-one was around. I realized that I had the keys in my pocket, so had my friend stop and I got out and into my Dad’s car. We all then went on to the church.

I was up in front of everyone putting on some kind of presentation when I heard some heavy foot steps and stomping outside the church. Since the doors to the church were in the back and I was standing up front looking back over everyone, I had a good view of the doors.

The one door opened slowly and my Dad stepped in. Shaking the snow off, he eased into the rear pew and sat down, not looking all that happy. It was then that I realized that he had been in that farm house keeping warm while waiting for me, since I had the keys to the car. He had to walk all that way back in the cold and snow. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, finishing my presentation with him sitting back there staring at me. Needless to say, he was not very happy with me at that time. Sure glad I was in a church. . .

4 comments:

  1. Probably a real good place to hide by then! Parents can sure do some scolding with just a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep HJ, they don't call a church a sancturary for nothing (grim).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that is funny! yep can't beat your kids in church!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Frann, after walking 3 miles in the cold deep snow, he was probably too tired anyway. Had to rest up a bit first. . .

    ReplyDelete