Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, December 27, 2013

Wondering about State Parks.

I live in Texas.  Texas has about a hundred state parks.  Some full service and some not.  I have been to a few and would like to visit others.  If I am going to stay somewhere for a few days, I would much prefer a state park to an RV resort.  Don't get me wrong, I like RV parks and have stayed at a lot of them.  Some for just overnight stops and some I have stayed awhile because they were close to where I wanted to visit.  It seems to me that the state parks have a lot more space between camp sites than RV parks do.  RV parks are there only to make money whereas state parks are there for the use of the citizens.  And yes, there is an entrance fee and or a site fee.  I buy a Texas State Park Pass every year which does away with the entry fee.

Texas is divided into four unique areas.  They are the Gulf Coastal Plains, the Interior Lowlands, the Great Plains, and the Basin and Mountain Range areas.  There is a lot of nothing in parts of Texas.  You can drive for hours and not see any signs of civilizations.  I live in the Coastal Plains area but drive through the great plains area to get to the Davis Mountains, which I do like.  I do need to get back out there soon.  There are more trails to explore.  My short stay there last March was not enough time to walk all the trails.  The wild life is also impressive.  OK, I guess you can tell I have cabin fever and still trying to get rid of this dang cough.  Now, you all have a great day, you hear?

8 comments:

  1. I've stayed at quite few of FLorida's state parks. Like TX parks, there is a lot more space between sites than most private parks. Hope you get a chance to get some travel in soon. Get well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Bill & I became Texas residents we each got a "Texas Parklands Passport - Senior Partial". It's good for 50% reduced entry to parks but not camping or other fees. It's not much, but it's something. The Golden Age Passport gets us into any National Park free, and in some states gives us a discount. We're always checking out those discounts... they add up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pass, too. Like you said it only gets you into the park. But my wife and I go to a state part every now and then just to spend an afternoon on a walk with one of the dogs. Usually if we are just going for part of a day, we leave two of them at home.

      Delete
  3. You're ready to go!,, Got that tree down, so, no problems. Get that key out and let's DO IT! O yeah, where we going?,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always mentally ready to go, physically I am not ready.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have a trip to West Texas in mind. Best time to go...the snakes are hibernating.

    Hope you get to feeling better. Perhaps a trip to your doctor will help speed up your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I prefer to go out to the Davis Mountains in March or there-abouts. It is a long way out there. New Mexico is closer. So is a lot of other places. . . but I kind of like the Davis Mountains.

      Delete