Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, December 6, 2013

Wondering about new bills.

The bank gave (not for free, of course) me new hundred dollar bills.  I thought they were giving me play money.  I asked the teller if they were really real.  She assured me that they were but they have been redesigned.  They sure have been, and redesigned is an understatement.  Completely changed would suit a lot better.

The first thing I noticed was the bright blue raised line running vertical near the center of the bill: 
 (Note: these are sample pictures of low quality so they can not be used to counterfeit any bills.)

This blue ribbon on the front has three dimensional images that move when you tilt the bill back and forth.  It is really neat and would be hard to counterfeit.

The inkwell just to the right of the blue ribbon has a picture of the Liberty Bell imprinted on it.  The bell will change color when the bill is tilted back and forth:

 On the far right, if you hold the bill to the light, you will see faint image of Ben Franklin.  You can see this image from either side of the bill or note or what ever you call them:

There are other security features that are on the older bills that have also been used to secure this new bill.  I still say that the look and feel of it reminds me of play money or foreign money.  Maybe once they get circulated and folded and crumpled and dirty and just plain used, they will get the old "feel" back.  What do you think?  Now, you know that you readers are worth a million of those bills to me, so have a great day, you hear?




17 comments:

  1. When i get cash, haven't gotten any of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty new, so give it some time and they will be everywhere.

      Delete
  2. So now I have to reconfigure my printer and get some raised blue ink. It's always something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am all out of ink for printing those bills, too.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what it costs for all those "improvements" and how it stacks up against the counterfeiting that could have happened. My 1st thought was that it's too gimmicky. I get mostly 20's and lower denominations, so it probably won't affect me all that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Gypsy. But if I were going to counterfeit any thing, it would be twenties.

      Delete
  4. Well damn! You could have at least poster perfect 3D pictures! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry David, my 3D scanner and printer is not working. Maybe they are out of ink. . .?

      Delete
  5. If they roads weren't so icy, I might just drive into Glen Rose and get me one of those bills... but it would take more than $100 to get me to drive anywhere today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unusually cold weather around here. Today's high is 39 and tomorrow's will only be 38. Normal highs would be in the 70's. It ain't worth going out for one of those bills and it would also cost you a hundred bucks.

      Delete
  6. They change the bills so often that no one can tell what a $100 is really supposed to look like. One could make up just about anything and call it one of the new designs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could. I just wonder what will happen when I try to spend one of them?

      Delete
  7. They're really not worth anything, anyway, because the only real money they're worth is Chinese and it's not worth anything either!!!! When we were in japan in the 50s you had to have a wheel-barrow to carry your paycheck in Japanese YEN !!!
    Why try to copy it, just print your own and call it money !!!
    Them Confederate bills are now good to go !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money is just an easy way of trading. Just think how big a wallet you would have to have to carry around some fresh vegetables, some eggs, a couple of chickens, and a goat for trading?

      Delete
  8. Have not seen one of these yet. Would love to try to buy some pesos at the Exchange houses and see the look in their face. But then again they are probably aware of all the security features.

    Wonder if they will still mark them with that blank ink they use at the check out registers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies







    1. They shouldn't have to use the marker anymore, but old habits die hard. Get a new one at the bank and take it to the exchange and see if they have seen one before. I don't know when they were released.





      Delete
  9. It has been a long, long time since I have seen a $100 bill. The largest bill that you will find in my wallet is a twenty and usually only one of those. I don't have much money and carry even less around with me. There are sometimes weeks that go by when I never spend any cash at all.

    ReplyDelete