Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Day After Christmas.

OK, it is now the day after Christmas.  It is a let-down day for a lot of people who make a big fuss about the commercial side of the Holiday.  So, like I have wondered in the past, I wonder what all happened in history on this date.  As I discovered, a lot more than I would have thought.  How about I start with some of the newest and work back in time.

2002 - The first cloned human baby was born.

1998 - Iraq announced that it would fire on U.S. and British warplanes that patrol the skies over Iraq. (Go ahead, make my day!)

1996 - Six-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey was found murdered.

1986 - "Search for Tomorrow" (a show that I and my Mom watched) was seen for the last time on CBS-TV after a run of 35 years.

1982 - The Man of the Year in "TIME" magazine was a computer.

1974 - Comedian Jack Benny died at age 80.

1954 - "The Shadow" aired on radio for the last time.  (Another show I listened too)

1917 - During World War I, the U.S. government took over operation of the nation's railroads.  (This scares me, if it was done in the past and they got away with it, where could it have gone from there.)

1898 - Marie and Pierre Curie discovered radium.

1865 - The coffee percolator was patented by James H. Mason.

1620 - The Pilgrim Fathers landed at New Plymouth, MA, to found Plymouth Colony, with John Carver as Governor.

This list of things done on this day over the years is my Christmas gift to you.  Hope you all had a great and merry Christmas.  Now, you all have a great day today, you hear?

6 comments:

  1. Who knows what mysteries lurk on Dec. 26, Dizzy knows! *with apologies to The Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Shadow" was a good show, I loved it. Maybe he could be my alter-ego (grin).

      Delete
  2. I used to love that show! Another one along the same lines was one called Boston Blackie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were quite a few of them. My wife has satellite radio and listens to all those old shows. And the comedies, like Fibber McGee and Molly and The Great Gildersleeve.

      Delete
  3. I got injections into my hip, and spine,,amazing!!! Went to bed in no pain. Little stiffness today, but nothing like it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. During World War I, the U.S. government took over operation of the nation's railroads. (This scares me, if it was done in the past and they got away with it, where could it have gone from there.)

    What about the virtual takeover of medical care by the U.S. Government in 2014. It seems that they got away with that also. Where will the Government go next? I'm thinking that Russia may be the model; the government defaults on the debt, defaults on all its entitlement promises, the economy totally melts down and the politicians then pick up everything that has any remaining value and we will be ruled by a group of oligarchs.

    ReplyDelete