Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Just Dreaming about Dreaming

OK, things have got me wondering again. I had an email discussion last night with a friend and one of the subjects was dreams. Are not dreams a real wonder? Even science can’t completely figure them out. They know for sure that a person dreams during the stage of sleep know as rapid eye movement (REM), they know the normal duration of a dream, but they don’t know for sure much else.

They are pretty sure that animals and birds dream. Dang, if I think I have mixed up dreams, I wonder what animals dream about. I know my dogs dream, they even talk (bark and whine) in their sleep. Maybe they are dreaming about that big old pig.

Science has some theories, though. One is that dreaming enforces long term memory. Another, is that it clears the memory of junk (do believe that one – from experience) and some believe it re-sets the brain. How do you reset a brain? Maybe it is like defragmenting your hard-drive???

Ok, another thing. Do you dream in color or black and white? The fellow I was chatting with says he dreams in color. I told him that I never dream in color and that my dreams seem to be getting less frequent. Well, maybe I spoke to soon. I am trying to piece this together.

I had a dream last night. It was a jumble of things but the location was a family camp we had in the hills of Pennsylvania, but it had changed into a busy place with all kinds of people, a very large swimming pool, a paved road where a trail is suppose to be, and I had a problem that I couldn’t solve and now I can’t remember what the problem was.

OK, here is the weird part. I woke up at the end of the dream and remember thinking that for the first time that I can remember, the dream was in color. Well later, I woke and got up (actually the dogs get me up) and could remember most of the dream, but do not remember it in color.


Now, here is the question of the day. Do I dream in color but just can’t remember in color or do I really just dream in shades of grey and thinking it was in color was still part of the dream or a figment of my imagination? Your guess is as good as mine.

Do any of you dream in color? My wife does. I have heard that dreaming in color is more prominent in women than men. Maybe that is because women notice color more than men. Hey, let me know which way you dream. We could have a vote. Color, Black & White, or Some of Both.

3 comments:

  1. Of course they are in color, unless its night time in the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernest, maybe that's why I don't remember any of my dreams in color, since it is in the middle of the dark night when I have them.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dick,
    I'm late getting to this, internet wose and all that. I always dream in color. My breams are very vivid and I can remember them very well when I first awaken but as the day wears on, there is less and less detail and if I'd try ot tell someone about it, it would pale compared to the dream. Make sense? I didn't think so :-)

    ReplyDelete