Wondering about wild grapes

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cutting Down a Tree

Remember my blog when I told you that a tree on the curve of my drive way reached out and squashed my power awning?  Well my son and I reached out and cut it down.  Actually, my son did 99 percent of the work.  I am going to give you a picture story of the process.  This first picture shows me leaning against the notorious tree and in the back ground you can see the dent in the awning:

My son collects chain saws and he brought three of them to the party:

That was quick.  One tree down.  “Timber!!!”

Now for the hard work; getting the big boy out to chop it up:

My son using the big Stihl:

Finishing the cut:

And here I am, standing where the tree used to be.

Last, a picture of the stump and the piece cut off it to make it as low to the ground as possible.  Aren’t the colors pretty?  It was extremely hard wood:

Now you all have a great day now, you hear?

9 comments:

  1. That takes care of that. Impressive saw.

    That reminds me, I've got a problem tree at the top of my driveway that needs to come down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the monster gone! And we got to see the elusive son you speak of on occasion. Nice collection of saws he has, Ready for anything.

    Did you attempt to count the rings to determine it's age?
    Maybe you can take a slab of that wood and make you a clock ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW you can hit the road,,,lololol.,
    Good job ,,,done dirt cheap,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son has lots of tools, but I'm really impressed with three chain saws!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many trees...so little time!

    Glad you got the problem tree out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. . Trees

    I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.

    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the sweet earth's flowing breast
    A tree that looks at God all day, And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

    A tree that may in summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;

    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking firewood there, was that an Oak? Head to the flea market and pick up a pot belly stove before cold weather hits. Simmer a pot of beans on the stovetop while you nod off in the rocking chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6bears, that big saw is impressive, it will take up to a ten foot bar. My son collects them.

    Ben, I will try to count the rings but will not make a clock. I don’t have time to do the things I want to do now as it is.

    Trouble, still need to get some things fixed on the new RV before a trip. Also got another rush job from my favorite customer today. Got it done and the other customer wants me to come see him for more work.

    Gypsy, that is one of his hobbies, I believe he said he has more of them.

    Hermit, Yes, that one was giving me problems. I still can not make the curve without backing up, but at least that tree will not grab me again.

    Ted, I do not like to kill a living tree, but that will have cost me a lot when I try to replace that long power awning.

    Jimdabob, I believe it was. The only leaves I could find on the ground were oak leaves, but I seem to remember it had small leaves on it. Of course my memory is not too good.

    ReplyDelete