Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, April 24, 2015

Wondering About an A-Bomb Blast Suvivor - Twice.

What if I told you that there was a fellow who survived two atomic bomb blasts?  Not just one, but two!!  Back when I was only two years old (1945) the United States dropped two atomic bombs on Japan that caused Japan's surrender.  The theory behind this was that if the war drug out a lot longer, there would be a huge loss of lives so the dropping of these two bomb was thought that it may possibly save lots of lives.  Somehow, I believe that their math was wrong.  The first bomb that hit Hiroshima caused between 90,000 to 166,000 deaths.

Mr. Tsutomu Yamguchi was on a business trip to Hiroshima when, on August 6th, the U.S. dropped that first atomic bomb on that city.  He was within three kilometers of the blast and it ruptured his ear drums, temporarily blinded him, and cause serious burns on part of his body.  It was his bad luck to be on that trip at that time.  Oh, did I tell you where he lived?  In case you didn't guess, he lived in Nagasaki.  Here is picture of Mr. Yamaguchi:

After this, he returned to his home in Nagasaki the next day.  Then on August 9th, the U.S. dropped the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki, and he was a victim of the second bombing, too.  What I thought was strange was at the time of the second bombing, he was describing the first bombing to a friend.  This second time, he was again within three kilometers of the blast.  This bombing didn't cause quite as many deaths, maybe up to about 80,000, which is a significant amount by any standards.  Let's hope that weapons of this type will never be used again.  Now, you all have a great day, you hear?

8 comments:

  1. When we were in Nagasaki last October we visited the site where that bomb was dropped... now it is a lovely peace garden. There is also a museum nearby showing all the atrocities of those times. I just couldn't bring myself to go there. I, too, hope weapons of those kind will never be used again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, man will never learn from the past, but will keep on repeating the same old problems.

      Delete
    2. That is so true DD. What I find unconscionable is that the U.S. is so determined to keep others from having the "bomb", while we keep developing newer and more deadly bombs. Thanks for the facts on the number of deaths - I always thought we were told some faulty numbers.

      Delete
    3. I found those numbers on the internet, so I can not verify that they are correct, but they sure do sound like they are in the ballpark.

      Delete
  2. The way I understand the bombs were dropped keep from sacrificing even more American GIs to subdue this aggressor. The Japanese would have fought to the last man costing a great many more American lives. After all their precious emperor had told them to fight to the last person. He was God to them.

    As for limiting the spread of nuclear weapons; England, France, Israel and to some extent India and Russia will all use restraint in the use of the Bomb. Not so Iran or North Korea. If either one of those countries thought they could get away with it they would drop it on our heads.

    So I think our use of the bomb was justified in WWII to shorten and prevent loss of American lives. And I definitely want to keep the bomb out of Iran's hands if at all possible. After all Iran has in their constitution the destruction of Israel.

    My two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bombs killed over 200,000 people, (men, women, and children). I agree it shortened the war and saved allied lives, but I don't think it saved 200,000 Japanese lives, of course, I may be wrong. BTW, I am not saying that the bombs should not have been dropped. I believe, at the time, it was the thing to do to end the war.

      Delete
  3. Your numbers do not include all the horrible injuries left. You know, i didn't even know that Hitler killed over 6 million jews until i read a book after i was out of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. War is HELL!! And you would think that we could learn to live in peace, but we don't.

      Delete