Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Wondering what happened on a certain date.

It is interesting, at least to me, to pick out a date in the past and look up what all happened on that day.  OK, so what date should I start with.  How about the day something very significant occurred in my life.  Let me see, I guess that would be the day I was born.  Then I started to wonder if any body important, besides me (grin), was born on that date.  Wow, the Internet had a huge list!  Some I had heard of and some I had not.  There were five among the many that I immediately recognized.  They are:

Jack Benny
Hugh Downs
Florence Henderson
Jimmy Hoffa
Vic Morrow

Yep, we were all born on Feb. 14, 1943.  Since I am such an important guy, I don't know why my name wasn't listed there.(grin)  I also wondered what made the headlines that day.  It seems the major news headlines were all about the war.  The Soviets recapture their city of Rostov from the Germans.  Then there was a dark side.  The American troops experienced the worst defeat of the entire war, the battle at Kasserine Pass.  Over a thousand American troops were killed and hundreds taken prisoner at the hands of the German General Erwin Rommel!  The world was lucky that Germany didn't have more generals like Rommel.

Well, even though that wasn't a good day in the history of the war for the U.S., it was great day for my parents who had been wanting a baby for many years.  I guess I was worth waiting for (grin).  Now, why don't you all search the Internet and see what all happened the day you where born?  Whatever you do, make sure you have a great day, you hear?

10 comments:

  1. November 14, 1940 was the day Coventry, England was nearly destroyed by German bombers. There must not have been any famous people besides me born this day - I think Manet or Monet (the French artist) was born the same day as me, as well as Prince Charles, although he was born a year or two after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, you came in to this world with a bang and a boom (grin).

      Delete
  2. THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED TO MY PARENTS AND KINFOLKS WAS THE DAY I WAS FOUND OUT IN THE WOODS UNDER AN OLD BLACK STUMP, as I was told.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will teach them for walking in the bad part of the woods (grin). No, I bet you were a welcome addition.

      Delete
  3. I went to school with a boy named Jack, we had the same birthday. I always thought that was funny. If only his last name had been Hill-- the story may have turned out more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack and Jill went up the hill. . . yep. . interesting.

      Delete
  4. well, you are one month and 14 days older than I am. All I remember of the 40's was Mother trying to use her ration stamps .. sugar and gas... comes to mind.

    and the Fouke Monster as we called him ... Legend of Boggy Creek... oooooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember my Mom holding me up and showing me a picture of my Dad (who was in the Army) so I would remember him when he returned home.

      Delete
  5. Ah, you was a Valentine birthday boy. What a romantic day for you to have arrived. I'm sure your name is out there Dizzy-Dick, you just didn't have enough time to find it :)
    I like the idea of checking what happened on your birthday also those years ago, it's always interesting to see what the rest of the world was doing too. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that is where I get all my charm (grin). It seems that in this day and age, everyone's name is out there on the Internet along with way too much information.

      Delete