Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, October 11, 2013

Wandering a trail at Huntsville State Park.

After lunch yesterday, we decided to head up to Huntsville State Park and take a walk. My wife and I and our youngest dog really enjoyed the walk. I have a yearly Texas State Parks pass and it was such a nice day, why not? This time, we walked an old familiar trail which we had walked a few times before. There are a lot of trails and next time maybe we will try some other ones.

Yes, I took pictures and I will put a few of them on here for you to see. First is an unusual looking tree. I have seen trees with large holes in them but I this one has both a front door and a rear door:


 
Here is our little Gizzy leading the way:
 

 
My wife standing beside a typical large pine tree.  Those are beautiful trees and the State Park preserves them from the logging industry:
 

 
In a partial clearing, the shrubs and bushes can get enough light to survive, too:
 

 
A wading bird stands on the edge of a water lily patch waiting for a fish to come out of hiding:
 

 
Underneath the large pines, nothing seems to grow:
 

The large water plants have about swallowed the wood duck nesting box:
 


In the above picture the dirt at the shoreline has been all dug up.  I wonder if the alligators did that or if wild hogs are involved.  I didn't see any tracks to verify hogs so maybe it was the alligators.

That is all for today.  I plan to put more pictures on but don't want to bore you with too many in one day.  We had a great day and enjoyed it very much.  Now, we want you all to have a great day today, you hear?

16 comments:

  1. That is feral hog damage in the last pic. An alligator always shows a tail drag or slide leading to the water. Hog damage is lots of torn up ground without rhyme or reason to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the left center of that picture, it looked to me like the path they used to get there. Yes, it could very well be hogs. I had some on my place and they sure could tear it up.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy the pictures. Don't worry about posting too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A walk in the park is always a good day, enjoyed the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back home, if I wanted to walk through the park, I opened the door. Down here, if I want to walk in the park, I have two choices: Go fully armed and look out for needles and condoms on the ground. OR, go fully armed and look out for alligators and Coral snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the alligators and Coral snakes. I will take them over needles and condoms.

      Delete
  5. I had my comment all written... the optical place called... my new glasses were in... I lost the message... so ..... now a couple hours later I'm back. Feral hogs? We dealt with them in Florida and in south Texas... maybe someplace else.... those critters are vicious... AND destructive! Scare the crap out of me... Anyway... I love your photos and never tire of seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in south east Texas we call them the Piney Woods Rooters. They have exceptionaly long snouts and they can do a lot of damage with them.

      Delete
  6. Nice photos, Dizzy. I like the see though tree. Can't help but wonder how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can tell, it was a natural hole, not man made. It is quite a ways away from the main part of the park. I would still like to know how it came to be.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your outing. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had such a bad trip, snow bound without heat or food. At least it was warm (in the upper 80's here) for our outing. I will post some more pictures tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the virtual tour. Enjoyed your pictures hope you post more.

    ReplyDelete