Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, December 15, 2014

Wondering, Does My Spearmint Lose Its Flavor. . .

I wonder if any of you out there are old enough to remembering that song, "Does The Spearmint Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?  I sure do.  It was popular back in 1950, but I always remembered it, maybe not all the verses, but most of them.  Just to get you started and maybe to let that tune bounce back and forth in your head all day, here are a couple of the many verses:




Oh me, oh my, oh you, I don't know what to do
Hallelujah, the question is peculiar
It's got me on the go, I'd give a lot of dough
If someone here would tell me, is it yes or is it no?
Does the spearmint lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
If you chew it in the morning, will it be too hard to bite?
Can't you see I'm going crazy, won't somebody put me right?
Does the spearmint lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?



Ok, do you remember it now?


This, and the song "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road,
always seem to keep playing in my head.


Now, you all have a great day, you hear?

18 comments:

  1. Dang . . . I know them both.

    Love those silly songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight
    When your momma says don't chew it, do you cover it in spite
    And in the morning when you chew it, you heave it left and right
    Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight.

    Dead skunk in the middle of the road, dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Stinkin' to high heaven.
    On a moonlit night ya got yer dead toad frog, got yer dead cat and ya got her dead dog.
    Oh ya got yer dead rat and yer dead raccoon the blood and the guts will make you swoon

    ONE MORE TIME!

    A billy goat, was feelin' fine, ate six red shirts, right off the line
    two men they pulled him on his back
    tied him to, the railroad track
    the six fifteen, was right on time, racin' down that railroad line
    the billy goat, as if in pain, coughed up a red shirt,
    flagged down the train.

    What else ya got lil' boy? Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that billy goat song, too. Here, I will give you one to take up your time. . 99 bottles of bear on the wall. . .

      Delete
  3. lol DD i not only remember that song, but i remember trying out the bed post to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best as I can remember, it was Little Jimmy Dickens that sang that song on Th Grand Old Opry. Watched it on our black and white television!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, but after checking it proves that your memory is right on the target.

      Delete
  5. I remember the chewing gum song... but not the goat. The only goat song I remember was on some radio soap opera. I'll have to ask my sister if she can help me out there as she listened to radio soaps a lot in the 40's and early 50's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Granddad was a steam engine engineer on the PRR and he loved that song, the one about the goat flagging down the train.

      Delete
  6. I remember The Bedpost, but don't think I've ever heard of The Skunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KDKA radio in Pittsburgh played that a lot in the mornings when I was getting ready for school. I was only in early grade school at that time.

      Delete
    2. It came back out later, not sure when, but lots later than that.

      Delete
  7. Dizzy are you old enough to remember (THE THING ) by Phil Harris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, "Oh, you'll never get rid of the...No matter what you do." You know, they never said what it was, dang!!

      Delete
  8. One that drove me MAD, was "behind the green door",, lol i was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Dead skunk" is what we sang every time we passed one on the road so I'll bet even my kids remember that one!

    ReplyDelete