Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, December 19, 2014

Wondering About Barometric Pressure.

I wonder how many of us actually wonder about barometric Pressure unless you are a weather-man?  Not many, I assume.  OK, let me ask this question, what is normal barometric pressure?  First of all, barometric pressure is the weight of the air or atmosphere above you pushing down on you.  As you probably would guess, the lower you are the higher the pressure (since there is more air above you) and the higher, the reverse is true.  So, if you were standing on top of Pike's Peak, the pressure on you from the air would be much less than if you were standing in Death Valley.  Of course, there is also a difference in weight in hot air than in cold air, that is why cold air sinks into the valleys cooling them off in the evening first. The standard that we all use is the average sea-level pressure of 29.921 inches of mercury.

On this day, back in 2001, the highest barometric pressure ever recorded occurred at Tosontsenget, Khovsgol, Mongolia and it got up to 32.06 inches of mercury.  Wow!!  On that day people had to carry around a lot of extra weight on their shoulders, (grin).  Although it is raining here, I hope the barometric pressure gives you all the greatest weather possible and I want you all to enjoy it, you hear?

14 comments:

  1. While I guess I didn't think of it as barometric pressure, I'm always checking the barometer for weather change. My favorite little gizmo was a clear glass tube-like thing with a spout. I'd put food coloring in some water to see it better... then watch where the water level was. That broke a long time ago... Did you every have a little house-like thing... might have had a witch on one side and Hanzel and Gretel on the other... as the barometric pressure would change the witch would come out if it was stormy and the kids if it were nice? Wonder if those things are still for sale today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had both of those too. The glass one broke way too easy, lol. That little house lasted a long time.

      Delete
    2. I remember the house with witch for bad weather and the two kids on the other. I also remember one with a tube but can't remember how it worked.

      Delete
  2. I never think much about barometric pressure, although I watch the weather forecasts regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dampness along with low pressure and cool temperatures makes my wife have a lot of pain. She hurting pretty bad today.

      Delete
  3. Dad used that with water in a jar to tell when fishing was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does affect the fishing, at least I have used that as an excuse for not catching fish a few times (grin).

      Delete
  4. I just watch to see if it's falling or rising. A lot of sailing involves riding those fronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it but I bet it sure does.

      Delete
  5. I suspect it is one way or the other when my joints are giving me hell. If I had one of the gizmos that tells I'd know when I'm supposed to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, if you hurt like that when low pressure moves in, you don't need a barometer, your body will tell you when it a low pressure moves in.

      Delete
    2. The amount of $ in my bank account (or should I say lack of $ in it) effects the pain to. ;)

      Delete
  6. Why I still send Christmas cards — and why you should too
    http://commoncts.blogspot.com/2014/12/why-i-still-send-christmas-cards-and.html

    ps. Link Exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I know I should but I haven't for quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete