Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, December 3, 2012

Wondering about black holes, again.

Yes, I know that I have mentioned black holes in quite a few of my blogs but I saw a TV show on the science channel last night that was quite interesting and I am sure by now you have guessed that it was about black holes.  They are fascinating to me and also to a lot of scientists because they still do not completely understand them.  They asked a lot astronomers and scientists if they had ever seen a black hole and can you guess what the answer was?  DAH!!

No one has seen a black hole, that is why they call them black holes.  It is an unseen entity that has a mass and gravitation so strong that nothing can escape it, not even light.  (Actually they spit out jets along their axis caused when they swallow matter)  But now there is a search going on to locate one that can be seen.  How can that be done, you might ask?  Well, I may just tell you. . .  they have to find a black hole that is directly in line with a further out bright object.  Then they will be able to "see" a black hole.  But will they?  Or will they just see its shadow?

Now, closer to home, I think I have at least one black hole in my home!!  Stuff just disapears!  Some of the things show up later when you don't want them anymore or have already replaced them and some of them just never ever show up again!  I am sure that most of you all have black holes floating around your home, too.  Maybe the scientists should study the baby black holes in our home instead of the huge ones out in space.  It would be a lot cheaper and maybe they could get a closer look.  Then again, you just can't see a black hole, only its affects.  Now don't you all have black day, but have yourself a great start to the work week, you hear?

4 comments:

  1. Well, there is Cygnus x-1, which behaves like a black hole and fits the parameters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_X-1

    Wile we can't see one directly, we can watch stuff get sucked up and destroyed by one.

    My guess is that they are full of my missing socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be some sort of a black hole in my airspace too - seems to be sucking a lot of my energy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live alone, no black holes. cough cough,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. A black hole is a black boat in clear water into which you pour vast sums of money.

    ReplyDelete