Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, January 23, 2012

Wondering about golden oldies and my blog.

I received an email yesterday that contained a cartoon that got me to a wondering. It said: “Do you realize in about 40 years we’ll have thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS? And - - - RAP MUSIC will be the GOLDEN OLDIES. (Now that’s scary)” So, I got wondering what each generation’s “golden oldies” are or will be. Also “golden oldies” will be different for different people, and of course for different nationalities.



I am not exactly sure what my parents’ golden oldies were, but I am sure it was the “big band” music. One thing is for sure, they loved the old songs that were sung around the family piano or out around the campfire. To me, those songs that we all sang together will always be my favorite and they bring back such wonderful, warm memories. The song “K-K-K-Katy” was one we always sang. Go ahead and Google it, there really was a song about a guy who stuttered and sang to his girl friend, Katy. So, maybe those old songs we all sang as kids are my “golden oldies”, but to be more within the meaning of the term, I suppose the 50’s rock-n-roll would be my “golden oldies” since I went to “hops” and danced to that music. Bought a 45 rpm record as often as I could save enough from my allowance. I had quite a collection back then. Now, did I bring back any memories for you all?


Now, I have been wondering about my blog and where it is going. I have tried to publish one every day, but it has been interfering with all the projects that I need to be working on, so I think I will start skipping a day or two between blogs. I will check my comments often and will answer them as often as possible, but will not post a new blog every day for awhile.


You all have a good day now, you hear?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to heat that you're so busy your blog is going to suffer ..
    About the old songs we remember, I have a vivid memory or being somewhere with Mother as a very young child and hearing Tennessee Waltz Most likely this version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM5HJuENryQ
    Later at home on the farm, She'd play her big band albums.
    That I'm sure influenced my taste in music. One of the first songs I remember playing on clarinet when I started really playing music was Bing Crosby's Its Been A Long Long (kiss me once, and kiss me twice)
    Our kids today are living in a waste land of "music" I can't understand any of this "music" you hear today at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my golden oldies were the 50s r&r too. I bought so many of them on 45s that had come off jukeboxes, had almost all of them. Later, got them on albums advertised on tv. Still have all those. lol. Now,,find something that will play them! hahahaha,,(i do have a turntable).
    I know how blogs get you down, so many times i just don't have anything new to say. Will miss you, but they do take lots of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's true, what is you favorites is really just what your grow up with. For me, it'll always been the college altenative bands of the mid/late 90's. Crash Test Dummies, Hootie and the Blowfish, Letters to Cleo, Counting Crows, etc. I'm sure a lot of 15-20 year olds today will only remember Beyonce. I wonder what my kids will remember, even as we are just now talking about family planning.

    The web comic XKCD made a joke about this during the Christmas season. http://xkcd.com/988/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldies are also 50's music. Sorry you won't be posting everyday,but totally understand. I never could post everyday myself,just to time consuming. Blessings Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing about blogging...it can be habit forming! I feel guilty if I don't put something up each day!

    Just post when you have the time, or when you want to and we'll find you! Gotta make the best use of time that you can, and we understand that!

    You have a great day!

    ReplyDelete