Wondering about wild grapes

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Music Instruments for Bluegrass

I believe that only a short list of musical instruments should be played in a bluegrass band.  There are all sorts of bluegrass entertainers and groups both small and large, and all seem to have their own special sound.  But back to the point of this blog posting.

 Let me start out with a single bluegrass singer.  I would think that if there is only one person who sings and plays, he or she would probably choose a guitar which can be used to accompany them with interludes of picking the melody.  I guess that any type bluegrass instrument could be used alone.

What type of instruments do I think would be used.  If it is a quartet, than a guitar, a banjo, a mandolin, and a bass.  A violin, a dobro may also be used.

 
 
By all means, any brass or woodwind instruments should never be used.  Neither should a piano nor an organ be used.  It seems that most all bluegrass instruments have strings and are easily carried around (to whoever's porch they are sitting on, picking and grinning).

This is Saturday night and I am watching the bluegrass music shows on the RFDTV channel.  They also have country-western music shows on, too.  And yes, I like those also, but bluegrass is my favorite.  Now, you all have a great day, you hear?

11 comments:

  1. I thought Bluegrass was played by holding a blade of bluegrass between your thumbs and blowing through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the way it all got started. . . (grin)

      Delete
  2. I really miss RFD's program from Jerusalem Ridge since I gave up my TV! Whatever instruments are in a bluegrass band, they have to have the big old bass! I think the dobro is my very favorite of instruments although you rarely hear them played now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just heard one tonight, but not the show from Jerusalem Ridge. Watching that show right now, from the home of Bill Monroe.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Dizzy, what I now about musical instruments you can put in a thimble and still have room for your finger. But I love Bluegrass music, and RFDTV. That channel and Discovery are about all Ms. Darcy and I watch. We are not quite hill people but almost. I grew up in middle west Alabama. The foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I love any of the Bluegrass tunes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter who you are or where you are from, if your foot doesn't start tapping when you hear bluegrass music, you must not have legs or you are stone deaf. . . (grin)

      Delete
  4. I enjoy Bluegrass music but have no idea what instruments other than a fiddle and guitar should be used. Just not that informed on musical instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter what instruments they play, all that matters is that you enjoy the music.

      Delete
  5. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you right Dizzy when it doesn't matter what instruments they play, I like all Bluegrass music and i really like Gospel singing.

    ReplyDelete