It has been four days since I last posted and normally, I post a blog every day. So, did you miss me? Nope, I bet you never noticed. If you did miss me, why? I have a lot why's for you today:
1. Why is the United States nicknamed Uncle Sam?
2. Why do identical twins have different fingerprints?
3. Why do fingers and toes wrinkle when left in water?
4. Do plants die of old age?
5. Atoms form everything around us, but only account for 5 percent of our universe. What two things make up most of the rest?
And last but not least:
6. Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
And of course, I can't let you guessing if you knew the right answers, so here are the answers:
1. Back during the war of 1812, a meat packer named Samuel Wilson, who supplied barrels of beef to the United States Army. These barrels were stamped U.S. for the United States, but the soldiers referred to the U.S. as Uncle Sam and I guess it stuck.
2. Fingerprints are formed semi-randomly as the fetus develops in the womb. Even though they have the same DNA, not all appearance is totally controlled by it.
3. Places like your hands and feet get the natural waterproof coating rubbed off over time and thus the skin absorbs water and swells. Because it is anchored below, it is forced to corrugate to take up the extra skin, thus the wrinkles.
4. Yes and no. Some do and some, under the right conditions, can live for ever.
5. Dark matter and dark energy.
6. Because clowns taste funny.
Now, you all have a great day and after reading this blog posting, you may want me to wait more than four days to post another (grin). Now, you all have a great day and keep on a smiling, you hear?