Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, September 8, 2016

"A" is for. . .

There are more things that "A" can stand for other than "A" is for Apple. 

"A" can also stand for one of the worst and deadliest inventions of mass destruction the world has ever known.  I am talking about the A-bomb.  If any of you are as old as I am, you can remember the days of "duck and cover" that we learned at school and the well stocked bomb shelters with the Civil Defense emblem at their entrance.  I remember that my Dad had a white hard hat with that emblem on it.  We all never wanted to see that extra bright flash signaling a bomb explosion when those shelters would be needed.

Here are three pictures from the 1950's tests carried out New Mexico:



What I didn't know was how quick that new invention of mass destruction would be put to use.  The U.S. first tested an A-bomb on July 16, 1945 and dropped the first A-bomb on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.  That was less than a month from the first ever test explosion.  Then on the 9th, the second atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki and not long after that, the Japanese surrendered.  It amazes me just how quick after the first test, it was used.  Not long after this, a more terrible bomb was conceived and produced; the hydrogen bomb.

Let us all hope and pray that the countries of this world will think twice before releasing these weapons or more terrible weapons upon the world and learn to live in peace, understanding, and assist other than destroy their brother nations of the world.  Now, you all live in peace and have a great day, you hear?

17 comments:

  1. I think we made a gigantic error in dropping the bombs in Japan. In my mind, we have no moral ground to preach to other nations about not using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respectively disagree. See my answer to Rob below.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were expecting a million American casualties from an invasion of the Japanese mainland, you have to ask where your male relatives were in 1945...

      Not to mention the huge loss of life in a Japan that would not surrender. As it was there was blood shed in Japan after the Emperor decided to surrender by those who didn't want to quit.

      We just need to remind our leaders that there is no such thing as using tactical nukes.

      Delete
    2. Yes Rob, it saved lives, shortened the war, and prevented world domination of selfish countries and/or tyrannical leaders.

      Delete
    3. The total WW II casualties were just under 500,000, so I doubt there would have been 1 Million just from an invasion of the Japanese mainland. The total for all U.S. wars from the Revolutionary on, is over 1.1 Million. I think we had a new weapon and wanted to use it, and told the people how many millions of American lives would be saved.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DD, I apologize for letting myself get into a political commentary on your blog. I am deleting my comments about Gypsy's premise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have given many, many tours of Caribou Air Station (Loring AFB) in Maine.. of the bunkers where the nuclear bombs were housed... and talked with many former military men who were stationed there. I'd go for early morning drives around the 50+ bunkers still there... sit and watch the fog rise over the structures... sometimes revealing moose or bear still out on their nighttime foraging. And I always thank God that we survived those times and say a prayer that it never comes to that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your blog postings about that. I too, wish we could all live in peace but the bible says that there will always be wars and rumors of wars.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I do remember all the "duck and cover" drills. The 50's were a time of terror for me with all the talk of bombs and war. I do pray that mankind will never again unleash any weapons of mass destruction. Unfortunately I don't see that happening as I firmly believe we are in the "end of time". Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I graduated from high school in 1961, the '50's were my school years. Actually, other than the A-bomb scare, it was a great time to grow up.

      Delete
  7. i remember well the 3 days of the Cuban crisis, stuck to a tv so see if we were all gonna die. hope and pray never again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those days well. It amazes me that we wasted all the effort learning to hide under our school desks-like that would have really helped:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that it was better in that position to kiss your rear goodbye.

      Delete