Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wondering About Ancient Doctors.

Since I need to get a prescription refilled, I got wondering about ancient doctors.  One little bit of ancient history I dug up was to my liking and I think it should be made into a law for today's doctors.  It said that in ancient China, doctors could receive fees only if their patient was cured.  If the patient's health deteriorated, the doctor had to pay the patient.  Now, that sounds like a great idea, don't you think?

 
The ancient Chinese were not the only ones who had ancient doctors.  The Egyptians also were great physicians.  They preformed complicated operations and mixed up drugs and medicines of all kinds. 
 
 And of course, if they failed to cure you, they cured you.  Well, not exactly cured, like a ham or bacon.  They dug the brains out and other stuff and actually embalmed them with spices and minerals and stuff.  (I use the word "stuff" when I don't know what the heck was used or had way too many things to list, take your choice.)
I hope that none of you need to see a doctor or get embalmed!!  But I hope all of you are healthy and I insist that you have a great day today, you hear?


9 comments:

  1. I've donated my body to science .... when I die, of course ;-) so maybe I'll one day I'l be "cured" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, does that mean your great great grandkids can go to the museum and see you? Or what's left after "science" gets done with you. . .

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I realize medicine has come a long way, but in some ways it hasn't. Take for instance, the snake oil salesman. I don't see much difference between him touting his elixir for one and all, and the cardiologist or vascular surgeon who routinely pushes statin drugs on patients. I also see where Dr. Oz is taking some heat from Congress, and it's about time. That man pushes a different method for weight loss on every one of his shows. Snake oil might just work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the comment above mine, and want to add that my body will go to ScienceCare when I die - no embalming for me! My kids will get the cremated remains of what was left of me.

      Delete
    2. My body is going to be so worn out when I die that science will not want it (grin).

      Delete
  3. The ancient Romans weren't too shabby either. Julius Caesar was born by Caesarian Section, hence the name of that procedure.

    Science gets me, too. Even at my advanced age, I still have some healthy parts that they can learn about. Then they pay for my cremation, so that leaves more for my kids.
    Happy Tails and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about Caesarian Sections. Thanks for the info..

      Delete
  4. If doctors had to pay my mother for not curing her she would be a rich woman.

    ReplyDelete