Wondering about wild grapes

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Spaced Out Facts.

I love astronomy and think that it is oh so interesting.  There is a humongous area of stuff in our universe and there is no reason why there can't be more universes.  I am not going to hurt my mind with trying to think about all the possibilities because there are enough facts to try to wrap my mind around.  Let me list a few of them:

What do you think would be the size of the largest star that has been discovered so far?  It is a red supergiant that is 1708 times larger than our sun.  Wow, that must be really hot and bright.

Not only is there stars much bigger than ours there are also galaxies much bigger, too.  The largest that we know of is IC 1101 which is 30 times the size of our Milky Way.

What are neutron stars?  They are the final stages after high mass stars explode and collapses.  They can rotate from 60 to 600 times a second.  Multiply those numbers by 60 to get RPM's.

According to information from the Hubble Space Telescope, it is estimated that there are 100 billion (100,000,000,000) galaxies in our universe and that number may be 500 billion galaxies.  Now tell me with all those galaxies and with all the star (solar) systems in those galaxies that there isn't some intelligent life out there somewhere.  If so, they would be just way too far away for any contact with us.  Even traveling at the speed of light it would take millions of years for a signal to reach us.  We may be alone in the universe or maybe not.  I doubt that I will ever know.  Space is just so very fast that we have a hard time comprehending those distances.  As for now, we better take good care of our Earth, we need it.  Now, have a great day, you hear?







6 comments:

  1. Astronomy has always fascinated me. Sometimes I wish I had chosen it as my career. Maybe that is why I have always been a huge Star Trek fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me,too. I was always interested in it but my interest didn't peak until I got quite a bit older. Remember my posts showing my huge telescope that was taller than I am?

      Delete
  2. I sure do remember the posts with your huge telescope. My son has one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sits in the corner of my living room and visitors ask why I have a hot water tank in the living room.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you are still posting. Seen or heard anything from Billy Bob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am still here but it has been a long time since I have heard anything from Billy Bob. Maybe he just got tired of posting, hope that is all it is.

      Delete