Wondering about wild grapes

Friday, August 17, 2018

Missions to Mars.

Believe it or not, there have been almost sixty missions to Mars, some were fly-bys, some were landers, and some were rovers.  Yep, we have been in that area quite a few times and here is a list of all of them and who sent them and if they were successful or not.  Just go to:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

After you look at that link, pan down and on the same page it lists proposed missions.  I wonder what the inhabitants of Mars think about all of us snooping around their planet.

By the way, quite a few years ago I knew four men who were "The Men from Mars".  No, they were not little green men.  When someone thinks of creatures from the red planet why do they think they are green?  The guys I knew were from a small town in Western Pennsylvania named Mars, who had a gospel quartet.  The bass singer also delivered heating oil and that is how I met him.  We got along well together and we had a lot in common, like we had both sang in quartets and I used the oil he delivered to keep warm on those cold Pennsylvania winter days and nights.  By the way, I just loved snow and would use any excuse I could think of to get out in it.  I was that way from the time I learned to walk until I moved south.

Go outside tonight and look up, you may be surprised at what you see.  Use binoculars if you don't have a telescope.  Any point of light that doesn't get bigger when you look though binoculars or telescopes is a star.  Anything that gets bigger is a planet or comet or something a lot closer than stars.  Have a great day and if you look up tonight, don't get a stiff neck, you hear?

10 comments:

  1. Never cared much for snow myself...or the cold. Guess that's why I live in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Caroline, Justin Texas, Baytown, and now just east of Cut & Shoot. I get my mail at the Cut & Shoot post office.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say that I have been in all kinds climates and weather. Been in dry weather, hurricanes and even tornadoes, and floods, etc. You name it, I have lived through it, so far.

      Delete
  2. I can't see for the life of me, with all the problems in the world we live in, why we don't solve some of them instead of trying to get to Mars and spending all that money on it. So we reached the moon, and what do we have for it. Experience, advanced technology, ???, but why did we need it in the first place. We trash our own planet while looking to go to another one where we will just trash that one if we stay long enough. Sorry to be such a downer on this subjet, but I've always felt like it was a waste of money and effort - we should fix what we have before moving out into the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mankind has always been searching for better places and to go where no one has gone before. Just human nature I guess. Maybe we could move all the trach to Mars and when it gets full, move on to Saturn.

      Delete
  3. "I've always felt like it was a waste of money and effort - we should fix what we have before moving out into the universe."

    Gypsy, I share your feelings on this subject.

    Dizzy, I know you love astronomy, science and space but the nation has a deficit of $833 billion or more. I do not see any real reason why we need to squander even more billions going to Mars or other planets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't for us, it is for our future generations who would perish if stuck here on Earth when it falls into the sun. And yes, it will sometime in the far future.

      Delete
  4. I know we are going to Mars for future generations, but I still feel the money would be better spent fixing problems here on Earth first before we spend it on space. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, but it is a lot more exciting thinking about going to Mars.

      Delete
  5. Good reading and the last sentence reveals why I'm stiff necked today. In fact, everything is now stiff (!) I stargazed a lot. I too would love to learn about astronomy. What could you recommend, Dizzy, as for my very first beginning lessons? For I was just a gazer then and not a student. So I barely am aware of outside my tiny world.

    ReplyDelete