Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, November 29, 2010

Cards for Someone Special

If you have read my blogs in the past, you will know how talented my wife is, especially when it comes to crafts. She crochets, paints, creates new and beautiful things from old stuff, and makes one of kind and very beautiful greeting cards. These are no ordinary cards, but unique three dimensional pieces of art.

She comes up with some great ideas for designs. Each card is a theme and tells its own story. It may take a few days to complete one, especially if she has to wait for the glue and / or paint to dry between operations.

These cards also range in size from small and thin enough to fit into a standard card envelope up to really thick and heavy ones that must go into larger padded envelopes. No matter the size, they are all very special and unique and remind me of small scrap books that can be sent by mail as greeting cards.

I am not sure how it all got started. It probably began when she ran out of things to paint flowers on and started painting them on cards and also on the envelopes. They turned out really well and that led to bigger and greater things; one of a kind three dimensional, textured cards with attached items that were designed around a particular theme.

Now the story gets interesting and personal. I have only one Aunt left in my family. She is a wonderful, caring person with a great sense of humor. Earlier this year, she fell and broke her upper leg near where it became a hip. They operated on her and used screws to reconnect the bone to the hip, and that led to a long recovery process, first in the hospital, then at a nursing home, and finally at home. She seemed to be getting along fine until the screws came loose or broke or something. That put her back down and unable to walk. She is now scheduled for a hip replacement in a few weeks, but because of her age and other problems, the docs are waiting until a few days before the scheduled operation date to decide if she is able to go through the procedure.

Anyway, back when this all started with my Aunt, my wife started making cards to send to her. My wife would design and make the cards and after they were done, I would look at them and then write a poem or rhyme for each card. We made a good team and my Aunt really loved the cards. This card making blossomed into an on going project that my wife enjoys doing.

My cousin called and told me that her mother waits everyday for the mail to see if there is another card for her. My wife tries to send one every few days. We are so glad that our efforts have given someone in pain a few minutes of pleasure. We hope that they brighten up her world.


No, I don’t have any pictures of the cards.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do! You and your wife are really special. I hope your aunt can get through a hip replacement very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gypsy, but we are not special. We just do what we enjoy doing. Yes, I do hope she gets through the procedure and can get on with her way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just spent 3 weeks in a nursing/re-hab home and I know the plesant distraction is welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Frann, my aunt celebrated her 90th birthday a few years back, so she must be in good shape for her age if they are considering that surgury. We try to send her something as often as possible, one went out today and one will go out tomorrow. She called me the other day to thank us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's a great idea, and I can only guess how much your aunt appreciates it!

    Any time you can bring a little sunshine into someone's life...that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HJ, we hope it brings sunshine into her life at a time when she needs it. We try to put as much humor into the cards and rymes as possible. Sometimes we even laugh at them :-)

    ReplyDelete