Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, September 21, 2015

Wondering About Jack Larson.

I bet if you watched TV back in the 1950's, you saw this fellow.  His name is Jack Larson and I am sorry to say that he passed away yesterday at the age of 87.  Have you figured out what character he played ?

He played Jimmy Olsen, the newspaper reporter that was friends with Clark Kent, another reporter who led a secret life as Superman.  Now do you remember him?

The show ran on TV from 1952 through 1958:



This last picture is of the original cast of the Superman show.  From left to right:

Perry White - - - played by John Hamilton
Superman - - - played by George Reeves
Unidentified mother and daughter
Lois Lane - - - played first by Noel Neill and then by Phillis Coates
Jimmy Olsen - - - played by Jack Larson.


This is one of those shows that showed that good always wins out over evil, unlike a lot of the stuff on TV these days.  Now tell me, how many of you remember that old show or am I the only one in blogger land old enough to remember it?  Now, don't go flying all around without the aid of an airplane nor bend steel with your bare hands, but have a great day, you hear?

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes I know you think so but I am older than dirt and you are only older than trees. . .

      Delete
  2. Been off a couple of days but did go back and read yours. Put a comment on the dinosaur one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My younger brothers and I watched that show. I wouldn't have recognized the old guy as Jimmy Olsen, not in a million years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our generation watched every episode of that show.

      Delete
  4. I've always maintained I am as old as the hills and twice as moldy. "Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Superman!

    After every Thursday at 7:30 on the Philadelphia station found my brothers and I in capes (towels) and tights (pajamas) bouncing off chairs and beds as we 're-enacted the latest episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it at the other end of the state. I lived in Pennsylvania, eight miles south of Butler on route 8, which went to Pittsburgh. So the Pittsburgh station was the closest, and thus the strongest signal we could get.

      Delete
    2. I watched it in the third or fourth grade in Bossier City, Louisiana. It was daytime there. Interestingly the superman in the 50's was George Reeves and they claim he committed suicide. Funny that Christopher Reeves didn't do very well either and they both had the same last name. The first Lois Clark (Noel Neill) is still alive at 95 along with her husband of many years. I always liked Jimmy Olsen.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the similarities of both Supermen's names is interesting to say the least.

      Delete
  5. I remember this show even though I was just a little thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I most certainly do remember Superman - never missed an episode. I read about Jack Larson's death yesterday. Seems like all the good old people are passing away. I still love watching all the shows from the 50's - they are the best. People had morals and scruples back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is why we didn't know that he was gay. They kept things like that secret.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear . . . I wish you had kept him in the closet. It's kind of hard to have a crush on "Jimmy Olsen" now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so sorry, Janet, but you just ain't his type (grin).

      Delete
  8. I remember the show well. Nothing like it on today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the reruns of old '50's shows. They do that on some of the satellite stations that I watch.

      Delete
  9. I remember that show well, It was one of the only shows I watched.
    Thanks Dizzy
    from the Rio Grande Valley, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I really enjoyed that show and worried at some of the situations but then Clark Kent stepped into that phone booth. Dang, today he would have a lot of trouble finding a phone booth.

      Delete