Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wondering About a Tree.

I took a walk up the driveway and around the dogs' yard.  I noticed that, even this late in the year, stuff is still blooming like this honeysuckle.
 
 Beside the dogs' yard is a tree that I have no idea what it is.  I thought that the leaves looked like it would be some variety of ash, but I have not been able to find an ash with this kind of bloom, fruit, or whatever it is:

Here is a close up of what I am talking about.  You can see the stuff hanging down along with leaves.  Can any of you tell me what it is?

 
OK, Sharon of the odd essay blog:
http://theoddessay.blogspot.com/, can you identify this tree?  You are familiar with Texas flora, right?  From the looks of the leaves, I would have said it was a ash or nut tree but then those hangy down  things appeared, which I have never seen before.  Maybe they will turn into long green worms which will then turn into little green men which will then take over the world. . . Oh my gosh!!  Maybe I need to cut this tree down and burn every seed and leaf. . . Maybe it is too late and I am already infected and am going to turn green and shrink. . . . Now, be careful which tree you walk by today and keep your windows closed at night.  Better to be safe than sorry.  And of course, have a great day, you hear?
 
 
 



8 comments:

  1. I wish I did know Texas trees.... those "catkins" hanging down are probably loaded with pollen... I usually start with checking out whether the leaves are opposite or alternate and go from there. We must be of like minds... just this morning I took a small branch... leaves, and some type of small, purple fruit at the end... to the county extension agent to identify. Bill brought it home from Ft Worth yesterday... it was planted as a shrub/tall hedge beside a doctor office. The ex. agt. told me it's a Chinese Phoeenia... an ornamental (non-native) planted as a barrier. So many of the trees I'm trying to ID are not native... planted as an ornamental... and are way beyond my knowledge. I'd be taking a sample to your ex agt to see if it's an invasive species that will take over (like that honeysuckle tree we found on our Ohio property last fall... yikes!). Keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken samples of other trees to the county agent. I don't bother with plants that I know for sure were planted. Those could come from most any part of the world and some are not native but can push out the native plants.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what tree it is but we saw lots of them in Jamaica and St. Lucia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am leaning toward a hickory tree. Got lots of them on my property.

      Delete
    2. I believe hickory is the correct identification.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So that is where those pesty dingleberries come from.

      Delete
  4. Well im glad somebody knew what it is, cause i wanted to say pecan.

    ReplyDelete