Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wondering about some red wild flowers.

For the last couple of weeks my wife has been seeing some pretty red flowers along a fence on the back road we take coming back home after stopping at the post office to get our mail.  She keeps telling how pretty they are and I always seem to keep missing them.  Yesterday, was different.  I remembered about them before I got to them and it just so happened that there were no vehicles behind me and I had my camera in my pocket.  I handed the camera to my wife (the flowers were a long a fence on the right side of the road) and told her to take some pictures.  I slowed down and made a quick stop and she snapped a couple of pictures.  Usually this field gets covered with blue bonnets and these red flowers which, after some research, I believe that they are a wild Phlox.  Here is the panoramic view:

 I cropped the picture down for a closer look:

 And a little closer:

Can't go any further, it is already starting to get blurry.  You get the idea, right?  This is the start of a very pretty time here in Texas.  Now, you all have a great day today, you hear?  It is a rainy day here in East Texas.

7 comments:

  1. Is it clusters of the flowers? If so, I think it's phlox too. Only I thot they were pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that around the Austin area, sometimes the Indian Paintbrushes came out around the same time as the Bluebonnets!

    Glad we are getting this slow drizzle this morning. Should have some really nice flowers this Spring. I know my roses are eating it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trouble, I think they are phlox. Most are pink, these are definitely red ones.

    HJ, bluebonnets and paintbrushes make a beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never remember the names of any plants, but I recognize them and know what I like. I love anything that is bright red or yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are they wild columbine? Can't see them clearly. Tell the wife to toss them into your salad, see what they taste like. You might have all kinds of things poping up now that you've gotten some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We bought a field guide to the SE wildflowers several years ago and still have trouble identifying some of them. Glad to see the wildflowers are starting to bloom. Bet you'll be happy to see the bluebonnets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy, you sound like me. It is like people, I don't forget a face but can only remember a name for a few minutes after meeting someone new.

    Jimkabob, I think they are. And yep, we are getting some rain.

    The Odd Essay, It is funny how you just can never find the exact flower you want to identify in field guide.

    ReplyDelete