Wondering about wild grapes

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Nature Came Up With More surprises

I looked out the kitchen winow at the bird feeder and there was whole flock of grackles out there enjoying their lunch.  They were all black with a tint of purple showing except of one.  One of them had a long white tail feather on the right side of its tail.  It sure did stand out in a crowd, or should I say it stood out in the flock.

They were gone before I could get my camera.  They returned later but without the one with the white feather.  So, you are just going to have to take my word for the white feather in the tail of a Purple Grackle.  Now, you all have a great day, you hear?

17 comments:

  1. Close!
    Lookin out my backdoor ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aae_RHRptRg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that was a glock of Frackles you saw instead of a flock of Grackles. Frackles have been known to have a single white tail feather on the right side of their rudder. Now had that tail feather been green and on the other side you might have had a rare green sided Ruddy Frackle Grackle sighting. Better tie that camera around your wrist:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "frackles" sounds like a kids cereal (grin).

      Delete
    2. The scientific name for it is leucistic or partial albinism.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to see you back, Diz! Missed you in the blogging world. I haven't noticed as many birds the past month or two and wonder where they've all gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only missed a couple of days. I am glad that you are glad that I am back.

      Delete
  4. Like Gypsy, I am also glad to see you blogging again. I do not know what Frackles or Grackles are just that they are birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a crazy mixed up bird, maybe the Grackles kicked him out of the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a mixed up bird, but still was a member of the flock.

      Delete
  6. Grackle colors look very different, but their weird loud communication squawks are unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the sunlight hits them depends on what colors show.

      Delete
  7. Hmm no picture, need to keep that camera in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I know. But when I have my camera I don't seem to see the best scenes for picture (grin).

      Delete
  8. I get those nasty birds in my yard. If they get to my feeders they empty them in a matter of minutes. I prefer some not so petty birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have to worry about them today, too much rain and I now have a pond under the bird feeder, so am not going to fill it until the water goes down.

      Delete