Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, December 3, 2018

What Is Silence?

Silence, in this case, is defined as a complete absence of sound.  How many of you have experienced complete absence of sound?  I have never experienced complete silence.  Let me explain.

Many, many years ago when I was a young boy, I was laying in my bed sleeping.  I woke up in the middle of the night and just laid there for a few seconds listing to all the night critters (crickets, katydids, etc.) sing their beautiful songs.  That is, until I realized it was in the middle of winter with over a foot of snow on the ground.  It should be completely silent, but it wasn't.  Yep, the sound was coming from my own ears.

Earlier in my life, I had suffered a lot of ear infections during which caused my eardrums to brake or, if caught in time, lanced.  That had left me with a constant sound, which I have to this day.  The sound seems to get louder if I am not feeling well, but last night and so far today, the ringing in my ears is quite loud.  I do not feel sick, so maybe this will be my "normal" from now on.

I suppose that it inhibits my hearing to some extent, especially sounds that are of the same or near the same frequency.  I used to wear hearing aids, which did seem to help some, but they wore out and I have never replaced them.  This morning the ringing seems quite loud, but maybe that is because I have been thinking about it and writing about it here on my blog.  Now, I would appreciate it if you all would stop ringing all those bells and just have a great day, you hear?

14 comments:

  1. That ringing has been in my ears as well fro many years, I wear my hearing aides if I want to hear otherwise I am lost,
    We always having a good day thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hearing aids didn't seem to help any, although they did amplify the sounds I wanted to hear.

      Delete
  2. The ringing in your ears is medically called "Tinnitus" which I also experience. Mine was due to working in an extremely noisy work environment. Even though I wore hearing protection there was damage done. There are bogus claims out there saying that it is reversible but it is just a Scam. Sometimes the Ringing will drown out the voice of someone you are trying to hear. Otherwise I have great hearing but just wish the Ringing would stop.
    Wishing you a Safe and Enjoyable Day as well.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, mine was caused by illness, but a noisy environment doesn't help, either. I was forging die design engineer and being next to huge hammers and noisy trim presses, didn't help matters.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Good name for them. Of course now that I have moved to Texas, they may be real. We don't always have a winter, only some years.

      Delete
  4. I have had constant ringing in my ears since taking a certain medication in the 1990's. I can ignore it some of the time but not all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. If I am concentrating on something, it takes my mind from listening to the ringing, but it is always there.

      Delete
  5. Where I live at night can be very quiet so yes I have been in total silence. Wish it was more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fairly quiet at my place last night and then the owls started yelling at each other.

      Delete
  6. I have a constant loud "buzzing" in my ears. Most of the time I can just ignore it, but at night when it is quiet it can seem really loud. One of the "old age" symptoms I have learned to live with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand for sure. Although I have had mine since childhood, the older I get the louder it seems to get.

      Delete
  7. Back when I was able to arrive at the Chili Cook-off a week before the crowds showed up I was able to experience silence during the night. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find a place anymore where it is silent. I bet that was a quite an experience.

      Delete