Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Wandering Around My Driveway.

I took a walk around my driveway.  Not the whole drive way, just the loop part near my house.  It is not much of a walk but I was surprised by what all I saw.  The different sizes and shapes of fungi fascinate me.  I have, in the past, posted pictures of different types of fungi and mushrooms that grow on my place.  Well, you guessed it, I took more fungi pictures.  I thought this one growing on a stump was unusual; actually, they all are unusual.

 
My son had cut a tree down to make it easier for me to get the RV in and out of the driveway.  In this next picture, you can see an unusual fungus growing on that stump.

 
This is a front view of that fungus:

 
And this is a side view of the same fungus:
 
 
 This is a picture of the whole stump.  Can you see the above fungus at the lower left of the picture below:

 
To make it easier to cut the tree down, my son made his first cut a little up from ground level.  He then went back and cut it off again as close to the ground as he could without damaging his saw.  The piece below is what that piece looked like:



There were other types of fungus growing on downed tree limbs:

 
And these, which I thought that the bluish-grey line in from the edge of the fungus bloom made them look more elegant, if a fungus could be elegant, that is:
 
 
It was not all stuff growing on dead things that caught my eye, so I will end this blog posting with some pretty violets:

 
Now, be like these blooming violets and have a great day and let your life bloom, you hear?

13 comments:

  1. Another example of nature's art on display! She certainly provides a lot of beauty for us to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is the best artist I know of. I always enjoy seeing what Nature does and how she decorates the land.

      Delete
  2. It grew pretty fast, didn't it? I don't remember it being that long since your son cut the tree down. When I lived in the east I loved to photograph all the different fungi and mushrooms I saw growing in the woods, but I don't see that many where I live now - too dry, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't remember when it was cut down. I had my son cut more than one tree down at different times. It had to have been about a year or two or three or so ago. At my age, time goes by so fast I can't remember when things happened.

      Delete
  3. I like mushrooms. Good luck to you and your endeavours.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few books on mushrooms. Always have had an interest in them, but I get interested in too many things so never become an expert in any.

      Delete
  4. I, too, love ID-ing mushrooms. I used to do spore samples, which are as interesting as the fungi itself. But, I'll readily admit that the only ones I feel secure enough to eat are morels and puffballs. Even chicken and others that are so distinguished by color and shapes I'm pretty leery of. Have you ever injected an old log with spores to have a "mushroom farm". I haven't, but think it would be fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great a great book on identifying mushrooms. I forgot where I put it. I will have to find it. It said to do spore samples to get more accurate identifications.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to answer your question. No, I have never injected an old log with spores to have a "mushroom farm". I got enough growing on me (grin).

      Delete
  5. I spent yesterday "wandering" from the couch to the bathroom, and falling into the walls from extreme dizziness. How I wish I had a good day, and could wander around your driveway with you. I would love nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you are having health problems. The idea I am trying to make is that you don't have to go far away to see wonderful things, just open your eyes and look. Now that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy taking the RV far away to see wonderful things.

      Delete
  6. LOVE nature walks, always have. So keep your pics coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand to life in a city. I love to walk out the door and see nature.

      Delete