Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wondering, it Sure Feels Better.

Got my old Jeep Liberty back this morning.  Sure feels good to have that sturdy feel under me when driving down the road.  I don't know if it is because it is a four wheel drive and the springs are stronger for off road driving or if it is just built better than that rental car.  I am sure my Jeep has had a lot better care than the rental.  Now, don't get me wrong, the rental car served its purpose and it was a good car, it just wasn't a Jeep.  Like I said yesterday, my Jeep is ten years old and still going strong.

It has a V-6 engine in it and has all the power and get-up-and-go that I need and maybe more than I need.  The gas mileage ain't the greatest but like I told someone awhile back, it just went 2600 miles on one tank of gas.  I did fail to mention that it was being towed behind the motorhome. (grin)  The engine should still be in great shape but there may be some wear to the wheel bearings and differentials, since they turn when being towed.

Now a lot of RVers call their towed vehicle "a toad".  My Jeep does not like to be called a toad.  It says if you call me a toad, kiss my tail pipe and I will turn into a handsome prince or princess, which ever suits you.  I bet it wouldn't like to be called a dingy, either.  Now, what do you call the vehicle you tow behind your RV?  What ever, just have a great day, you hear?

12 comments:

  1. If I had an RV and towed a vehicle behind it, I would call it "my car" or "my jeep" or whatever. I don't care for the term "toad" either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually refer to it as "the Jeep". It has been around for awhile and has been towed by my first motorhome and now this one. Has a lot of towed mile on it.

      Delete
  2. Since we traded the 40ft for a 24 foot, we no longer tow. We like it that way:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still nice to have a second vehicle, if needed. Also, you don't have to disconnect from electric and water and sewer just to run down to the nearest store for a few groceries.

      Delete
    2. I run down to the store for groceries every 6-7 days. If I need something before then I do without (this has taught me how to be a careful shopper).
      I never stay hooked up to water or sewer only electric. I can be disconnected in less than 5 minutes and be on my way to the store. The second vehicle would be 'nice' as you say but is not 'needed'. Fulltiming has clarified my thinking about what I 'need' and what I 'want'.

      Delete
    3. I never hook up to a sewer unless my tanks are almost full. They empty much better when full. Do the black water tank first and then the grey water. That way, I am left with a cleaner hose.

      Delete
  3. We tow our little Scion and while it doesn't have a name, we do call it our Storage Shed. We bought it in 2005 when we still carried around a satellite dish and big ole tripod.... now we have a tiny (about the size of a cigarette pack) MiFi (for internet service)... but somehow the Storage Shed still gets loaded up when we hit the road.... which we'll be doing this coming Friday... so... in goes the excess stuff we don't want to put back in the rig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we use the Jeep for storage, too. I have one of those little square "hot spots" for the internet as long as we are in range of a cell phone tower. That way I can be on my computer, my wife on her tablet, etc. She can even be on line while I am driving down the road. Love it. It is great to be connected.

      Delete
  4. They made a diesel version for a few years. I wouldn't mind getting one of those. Once met a guy in Naples FL who ran his on WVO. Good vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that would be nice. That way I could fill the motorhome and the toad at the same diesel pump.

      Delete
  5. Dizzy -
    My Toyota 4-Runner is a 1999, with 210,000 miles on it. I bought it as a lease return when it had about 15,000. It's still going strong, with very little having gone wrong., and nothing major like A/C or tranny. It's been whacked a few times, the latest last year, sitting in a parking lot. The repair bill (all front end stuff) was over $3500.00, and the insurance people approved it lickety-split. I was amazed - they did not even blink! Said cars like this were well worth the money and told me to hold onto it as long as I can, which I plan to do. Love my Toyotas - got a 2005 Avalon with 100K+ that I mostly drive now. Hubby does short jaunts around town with the 4Runner, and I drive the 50 mil round trip every day with the car - better milage that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when I got used to the rough, solid ride of a four wheel drive, a regular car just feels soft to me. The rental did drive well and had lots of power. It just wasn't a Jeep.

      Delete