Wondering about wild grapes

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I Love Bluegrass Music!!

I just love bluegrass music.  Maybe it is because I grew up just west of the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania.  Always enjoyed going to the mountains.  But, growing up in the 50's I didn't seem to appreciate that mountain music.  At that age I was into popular music.  But as I aged, and with that new TV show, Hee Haw, I started to return to my roots.  Now, I listen to it often.

How did it all start?  The people that lived back then in Appalachia, didn't have a lot of things for entertainment, so they made their own.  But, the "Father of Bluegrass" was one of the pioneer bluegrass musicians that made that style of music popular.  One of his most played songs was "In The Pines".
 
 Remember Bill Monroe?  Here is another picture of Bill:
 
 Bill Monroe was born in Rosine, Kentucky, where they now hold the largest bluegrass festival I know of.  The Cumberland Highlander's show on TV shows a lot of the festival at Bill's childhood home.  Bill passed away back in 1996 but his music lives on.

Ralph Stanley is another one who blazed the modern bluegrass trail.  He was born back in 1927, which makes him 87 years old and still entertaining:
 
Ricky Skaggs is well known for his country, bluegrass, and gospel music.
 
 
Del McCoury, started his career back in 1967 is still very active with his band singing the high notes so easy and smooth.
 
 
 
There are also a lot of women in bluegrass like Alison Krauss and Rhonda Vincent.  Rhonda's brother is also a known bluegrass star and sings in the duo of Daily and Vincent.
 
 
And here is a picture of Daily and Vincent:
 
 
Of course we can't forget the comedian and actor who has another life as a banjo picker, Steve Martin: 

OK, I think that you get my point, that I love bluegrass music.  Now, sit back, stomp your feet, and listen to some bluegrass and have a great day, you hear?

17 comments:

  1. Didn't understand bluegrass when I was growing up ~ Elvis and Fats Domino et al ... hah! remember John Lee Hooker and Jimmy Reed... get down ... were more to my liking then

    However, as I got older ... maybe 20? I was taken to a Willie Nelson concert ~ he said I'll like this guy ... and boy did I ever!

    Then the Beverly Hillbillies was on and loved the ... well, who didn't... the theme song... Flatt & Scruggs ... loved it. THEN the movie, Oh, Brother Where Art Thou ... with the "Man of Constant Sorrow" ... and then Allison Krauss and so forth.

    I like all music and yes, I had heard of Bill Monroe but never listened ... decided I would and loved it. Blue Moon of Kentucky ...

    and who couldn't like Steve Martin ... I think I'll YouTube some bluegrass right now! CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on the BeeGees ... got 'em on YouTube and listened to them all morning... a whole playlist of their songs. What fun...

    now time for some bluegrass... think I'll just search for bluegrass and see what pops up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, wow! I just did and there are TWO HUNDRED in this YouTube playlist! 200!!! hah! what fun... John Hartford??! hadn't thought of him in eons... he was on Glen Campbell! well, you sure fixed my bit of boredom here! Rollin in my Sweet Baby's Arms... yeah!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_CZDtIuz0&list=PLhwykrnpBsT6P0pD9STWUXwWEiqGMJLsw

      Delete
    2. I really liked John Hartford. He sure did some funny songs. I always watched the Glen Campbell show. Now, the only one I can find from way back then is Hee Haw.

      Yep, Elvis and Fats. I do remember them. When I was a teenager back in the '50's, I sat in an rocking chair next to a console radio and listen to all those songs which are now oldies but goodies.

      Delete
  2. I have always loved Bluegrass. In the 50's in Cincinnati a radio station aired "The Hillbilly Hit Parade" every evening, but it was the Hank Williams type of country. I soon discovered Bluegrass and have been hooked ever since. You didn't mention Doc Watson, who has also contributed a lot to Bluegrass. Ralph Stanley is my all time favorite! I sure miss being in the east where you can hear BG once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you get the RFDTV channel? It has some bluegrass shows. If you have cable or satellite connections, ask for it. Saturday night has a lot of music shows, some country and some bluegrass.

      Delete
    2. I got RFD-TV when I had DirecTV, but now I have AT&T U-Verse and I don't think it's available. I like bluegrass when I could find it on that station, although most of their music is country. The east coast has it nearly everywhere, especially from Maryland south. Actually, you can no doubt find it in the northeast as well, but I like the southeast pickers and singers the best.

      Delete
  3. My daughter plays guitar and dobro - used to go to a Bluegrass camp somewhere in Virginia or one of the Carolinas in the summer.... while I've always liked Bluegrass I came to appreciate its origins etc more with Donna's interests. Every Sunday my "local" radio station (WOUB FM) has an entire afternoon of Bluegrass music. I often try to catch it by using my laptop and the internet. I think you'd like it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to sit and watch those music shows and play my guitar along with them. Of course, I ain't near as good as they are.

      Delete
    2. It is great that your daughter plays an enjoys it. A dobro is the bluegrass Hawaiian guitar. (grin)

      Delete
    3. The dobro has the most sensuous sound of all musical instruments,

      Delete
    4. Yes, it sure is. If it were a bird, it would be a loon. Living now in the South, I miss the call of the loon.

      Delete
    5. I'm no bird but I have been called a LOON from time to time.

      Delete
    6. I have been called loony so many times I am starting to believe it.

      Delete
  4. I've grown to love that music. It's a ways from the 70s rock I grew up with, but now it speaks to me.

    By the way, the loons are back on the lake. They should be tuning up a bit later this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bluegrass can entertain, but it does tell you a story. Enjoy the loons for me. . .

      Delete
  5. O Brother Where Art Thou one of my all time favs.

    ReplyDelete