Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, December 2, 2013

Wondering about Dodder.

We had two sons, we never had a dodder.  No, I mean daughter.  See, I told you I was bad speller.  Hey, wait a minute, maybe I will write about dodder, if that is OK with you.

How many of you know what dodder is?  I have to be honest, this morning is the first I have ever heard of it (that I can remember).  I came across it while browsing through my Dictionary of World Folklore for some story to dazzle my readers.  Instead, I found dodder.  It perked my interest so I had to research it a little further.

Dodder is a plant that is common to North America.  It is a parasitic climbing vine that bores its tentacles into its host and sucks out nutrients so it can survive.  The reason it was in the book I mentioned above, was the belief that, since it absorbs the healthful power and essence of its host, it would do the same to humans.  It was also believed that if you threw a piece of dodder backwards over your shoulder toward a loved one, and it thrives where it lands, so will the affair.

I also searched the Internet and found some pictures of it:








Now, don't you think that is nasty looking stuff?  I dislike most parasites, plants and people.  They steal the life force and resources that the hosts have worked hard to acquire and save. I know that none of you are parasites, so I wish you all a great day today, you hear?

13 comments:

  1. I don't like parasites either, and it sure looks nasty. I think of the word "dodder" as a verb; then there is the (is it an adverb or a gerund - my grammar rules are way back in my brain) word "doddering" as in "doddering old fool"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only context that I have ever heard that word used. Now, I guess I am the doddering old fool (grin).

      Delete
    2. Nah, you're not a fool, and you aren't doddering, and you sure aren't all that old!

      Delete
    3. Well... here you two are again ... I wonder why parasites are necessary. where did they come from? gotta be here for some purpose...

      I don't think I'd like to meet a person who liked parasites.

      I like dithering more than doddering... I do dither a lot... I don't mean to...

      Delete
    4. When some one or some things work hard and get what they need, there is always parasites waiting to take it away from them, at least most of it. Most parasites don't kill their "sugar-daddy". They want to come back for more.

      Delete
  2. Actually, I am familiar with dodder. It grows in my part of Ohio. Now... about another parasite... Mistletoe. I see it in big balls in many, many trees here in Texas. Birds eat the berries - more dropping... more mistletoe. BUT... here it is, the Christmas season and I bet everyone I know has hoped to catch their sweetie standing under the mistletoe so they can steal a kiss. So maybe parasites have their good points...xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Mistletoe on my place. When I first moved down here I thought of bagging it up taking it up to Pennsylvania for the Christmas season. Figured I'd make a fortune or at least make a bunch of people happy. Up there, one little sprig cost a fortune. And I would be glad to get rid of it. But, never did.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yep, let's make a horror movie with it as the leading monster. What do you think?

      Delete
  4. Howdy DD,
    I ain't never heerd tell of such a thang, but if as Sharon sez, it grows in oHIo itz a YANKEE THANG and needs killin', before it divides too far !!! But like she also relates, down here we have this Mexican thang that come in with the mesquite that sucks it to death and don't have nuthin' to do with 'kissin', except some 'old-maid' started the tale !!!
    How come, DD, you and ol' Hermit Jim, have all of these 'goofy' wurd books?? They do bring up strange discussions, tho !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find all my reference books at the flea market. Best place in the area to shop. No matter where we live, there are parasites of some kind.

      Delete