Wondering about wild grapes

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wondering what it would be like without computers.


My world, for many years, has revolved around computers.  I believe they have been a blessing and sometimes a curse.  The blessing is that the computer allowed me to work at home.  Working at home can be a mixed blessing but the advantages outweighed the disadvantages by a long shot.  In fact it would be very difficult for me to find any disadvantages.  You may say that I don’t get to inter-react with other people.  That is not the case; I got to meet more people because I did projects for many different companies over my working career.  I even spent some time “on site”, but I would limit that as much as possible.  I have met with all my customers in person and a lot of their employees.  So you see, I may seem like a hermit by staying at home instead of commuting to a work location, but I bet I have met more people through my work than most do, except for sales people who are on the road all the time.

Now, without computers it would be a lot harder for me to do what I do.  Before everyone had computers, I still did my work for different companies but had to create the drawings on paper using a drafting table and tools.  Then I would either have to deliver the drawing in person or mail them off.  This was difficult and at times, I had to take on full time jobs.  Then the computer came along and I got my first one while doing a contract job for G.E. Nuclear Fuel and Components in N.C.  That first computer changed my life and mostly for the better.

I now write emails, a blog, play games, and of course work on my computer.  It is a source of instant information on any subject you could possibly think of and if you know how to search properly, you can access that information in seconds.  Sometimes I get information I don’t want, but most of the time I find what I am looking for.  If I can’t find it, my wife can.  She is so very proficient at searching for information it is scary what she can dig up about almost anything or anybody.

Of course the computer has limited more personal communication.  For instance, like right now.  My wife is in the room but is not talking to me because she knows I am writing my blog and don’t want to be disturbed.  Maybe the computer and the internet will replace personal conversations someday, but I hope I am not around to see that happen.  I just love to talk to people face to face.  The telephone is my second choice and emails are my third choice.  Of course for business, emails are the best because they can be saved for reference later in the project.

Well, I got to run.  Lots of stuff on the calendar for today.  You all have a great day now, you hear?

8 comments:

  1. Got my first computer way back in 1982. (a Timex Sinclair 1000) I've had a love hate relationship with computers every since. Now days its hard to imagine what the world would be like without them. I suspect it would be a lot slower world though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, my first one was a 286. Got it way back in late 1988. So you got more experience but I bet I have put in more hours than you, sometimes up to 16 hours a day when i had rush jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids today have no idea what a "computer" is, one of the big ole desktop things with floppy disk drives and a black screen with green text on it. Honestly, they have no idea what computer is, all they know is texting and videos with their phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, most 8 year old kids will run circles around adults on a computer. To underestimate a kids ability on a computer and call them stupid.....no, I would never do that.
      I know a guy that calls his "geek" squad (kids) with every little problem he has. Know what I'm talk'n bout Ben???

      Delete
  4. Was wondering when,,,DD, then u answered above. I love my laptop, and it really helps me fill my time, being retired. Don't know what i'd do without it. I still read, watch a little tv, but mostly, use the puter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first computer I ever saw was at college and it took up a huge air conditioned room.

    Trouble, I love my new laptop, too and the Toshiba tablets. I am answering your comment on a tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's an amazing tool, but it's also an amazing toy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, it was different for me. I was given my first computer just a few years ago, when I was already in my 70's. Until then I had only seen the back of one at doctor's offices or banks. And that was just the monitors, I had no idea that there was more to a computer than that. The only thing I knew was how to type! It was given to me by my son, so that I could advertise my 53 Silver Streak on eBay. I managed to do that, with help, but I still had no idea how to send an email for a long time.

    Now, I wouldn't want to be without it, but it sure does take up a lot of time that I could be doing something more energetic and healthy, like gardening, walking or exercising.
    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete