Wondering about wild grapes

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wondering why the IRS has been good to me.

Maybe with that title, I better knock on wood. Hey, does anyone know how that saying got started? Anyway, maybe I better explain. I was originally mad at the IRS for not sending me the usual book full of forms and instructions. It is so much easier for me to use that book, by filling in forms and leafing through the instructions. I could read the instructions with the form in front of me. Yep, I sure missed that book.


Well, I went to the internet, looked up the directions I needed, filled in their forms, and printed out the completed forms. That all went much, much better than I had anticipated. Checked everything over and signed the forms. Before mailing them in, I did remember to make copies. Hey, that wasn’t too bad. The most time spent is the preparation and finding all the information that I needed to fill them out.


I noticed that my refund was deposited in my checking account on the 17th of this month. That was quick. Now, I don’t usually get a refund. In normal years, I try to make fairly accurate estimated quarterly payments, using the fourth quarter to adjust the amount. I can usually hit it within a hundred or two to the total owed. Now last year was different. The first three quarters were based on the year before and I only had les than 40 hours of work last year. That is why I had a refund. I will call it a forced savings account, and be happy with that.


Now, what the heck do I do about the quarterly payments this year? I have already, last week, worked as many hours as I did all of last year. There are still 9 months left, so I must assume that I will get some more work, but how much. I guess I will continue the estimated payments, but cut them way down. Like I said, I will just figure it as a forced savings account if I don’t get the expected work. Actually, I don’t really want the work but it does help pay for the gas for any trips that we may take...

9 comments:

  1. Just rest assured Dizzy, IF there has been a mistake about that deposit, no matter who's error it is,, YOU are going to be blamed. and YOU are will have to pay any and all fines or fees.

    Now, go ahead and have a nice day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm from the Government and I am here to help you...Just stay off their radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, Thanks for not making my day. . .

    Frann, The first part of your comment contains the scarriest and most feared words that any one could hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dizzy,good luck with the IRS,they can be hard to deal with. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta say, I might be crazy, but I do like the IRS. I don't always like what the Government does with the taxes, but my experiences with the IRS have mostly be positive. EZ versions of the return forms are great, and I did those by hand until I bought a house and got married (both in the same financial year). After that, I did it with a TurboTax box, and always got a significant return. If nothing else, they gave my Dad a job for 30 years, and helped put me and my sys through school. It's hard to knock that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for the IRS for about 13 years, before switching the another agency in the fed. govt. I always thought the IRS employees were extremely knowledgeable and ethical, and were very interested in only collecting tax that is due, no more no less. This applies to the IRS folks out at the district office level - working in Washington DC does something to all people and they forget who they are and who they are supposed to be serving. This applies not only to govt. employees. Congress writes the tax laws, and not the IRS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, so far there has never been a problem.

    Grant, I have always done my taxes my self. I have never been audited. Just in case I get audited and they find something, I have never taken a deduction for having my office in my home. I would much rather pay more than I owe than less and get in trouble.
    Fine Business on your Dad. 73’s

    Gypsy, I have also found them knowledgeable and ethical. In fact, a couple of times they refunded more than I had figured. And, last year they recalculated my tax because I didn’t take the work while retired deduction and I got a larger refund than expected. I have never had a problem with them, but they are sure the recipient of a lot of jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gift for the man that has everything, 'A tax audit!'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ernest, I don't have everything yet, so please, no audit. It would be a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete