Wondering about wild grapes

Monday, February 18, 2019

We Pronounce Words Different

Everyone in the world whose first language is English doesn't pronounce the same words the same.  I guess you could say that there are different English dialects.  Just here in the US, there are quite a few different dialects.  I am sure that you can tell the difference from a southerner to someone form the northeast or from the Midwest, or from any other different area.

I remember when I was sixteen years old my Uncle took his family and me on a long trip across North America.  Every area where we stopped, I noticed that the locals had their own way of speaking English.  Once, when we were a couple of thousand of miles away from home, one lady asked me if I were from Butler, PA.  I said yes, that I lived about eight miles south of Butler and then I asked her how she knew that.  She said by the way I talk and pronounce words.  Dang, up until then, I thought it was every one else that talked strange.

Even when I grew up and had been working for quite a few years, I took a new job near Detroit, Michigan.  Canada was just across the river and was easy to get to.  Also, it was shorter to drive across Canada to New York than through the US.  I don't remember why my boss and I were going there, but the officials at the border told me, as we crossed the river and entered Canada, that I was from Western Pennsylvania, even though I had Michigan plates on my car.  I told him he was right that western PA was where I was born and raised and lived for over 30 years, but then I asked how he knew that.  He said by the way I talk and the words I use.  Can't fool those border guards.

Since I have lived in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, and Texas, my dialect must be pretty confusing.  BTW, when I first started to work in Michigan, I couldn't understand my boss.  He told me to go check the ruff or the rough or ???  Luckily, there was a co-worker nearby that translated it to me as "go check the roof".  Yep, language is not my best subject.  Now, don't fall off your ruff and have a great day, you hear?

18 comments:

  1. If you can't understand the boss you'll find yourself up the crick without a paddle!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took awhile, but I finally started to understand him and the rest of the Michiganders. Yep, understanding the boss is very important, especially if he is the VP of the company.

      Delete
  2. That is so true, when I meet people they know right away that I am from Canada, because of my accent? Hmm and I thought it was them that had the accent. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the license plates on your rig and car helped give that away.

      Delete
  3. When I used to sell Christmas trees, I tried guessing people's origins. I was usually close. The guy who was born in Jamaica and moved to NYC as a young teen really threw me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that it would be hard to guess that guy's birthplace since he probably had a New York accent.

      Delete
  4. I have been living in AZ for 40+ yrs but still people know I am from the east coast. It isn't a strong but the accent is still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to remove an accent that you were around since birth. It tends to stay with you no matter where you live now.

      Delete
  5. I always found it fascinating how people from different parts of the country spoke so differently. I have lived in WI (born & raised here), MD, CA, FL, MA, and AZ. Each place had it's own dialect. People always peg me as a midwesterner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your original dialect was probably extended by picking up some from all the places you lived, but as I said above, it is hard to remove an accent that you were around since birth.

      Delete
  6. TV is slowly erasing regional differences, but it hasn't done it yet. I was in FL in a restaurant. At the table next to me was a guy speaking French to his friend. I recognized it as the local dialect from my home town. Sure enough, he lived there for 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were born in France. How old were you when you came to the US?

      Delete
  7. So if I want my origins to be a secret, I should keep my mouth shut, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I have trouble controlling my mouth. I eat too much and I say too much. But at least, people know how I feel about them.

      Delete
  8. Just as linda m. wrote above, I have lived in many areas of the U.S., plus a few years in Ireland. I don't think i have any Cincinnati accent remaining, but there might be someone who could detect a trace of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you must have a mixed up accent for sure. Maybe even worse than mine.

      Delete
  9. I worked with a guy a few years back who was from Sealy, Tx, but had spent 8 yrs in the army, and much of that stationed in Hawaii, and had absolutely no trace of a twang, really surprised me. Btw, happy belated birthday, did you get my card and gift? if not, (hehe) the check's in the mail (sorry, I couldn't help it) and many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have move all over the place and the natives get mixed up with the new-comers and some day, in the future, we will all talk the same. Now won't that be boring?

      Delete