Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Words I Didn't Know.

Even though I like to talk a lot and like to write blog postings, there are a lot of words that I don't know nor do I know their meanings.  Maybe I could list them and see if you know their meanings.  Then at the end, I will list their meanings.  Let me know how many of them you know.

1  -  Valetudinarian

2   -  Agastopia

3   -   Zoanthropy

4   -   Titynope

5   -   Kakorrhaphiophobia

6   -   erinaceous

7   -   Bibble 

8   -   Halfpace

9   -   Nudiusterian

10  -   Doodle sack

I think that is enough for now.  Did you know all of them?  If so let us know, you are way, way smarter and better educated than I am.  If not, then look below for the meanings
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Now, I will list one definition for each word.  Some may have multiple definitions, but I will only list the most common.

1   -  A sickly or weak person, especially one who is constantly and morbidly concerned with his or her health.

2   -   Admiration of a particular part of someone's body.

3   -   Delusion of a person who believes himself changed into an animal.

4   -   A small quantity of something left over.

5   -   Fear of failure.

6   -   of, pertaining to, or resembling a hedgehog.


7   -   To drink often; to eat and/or drink noisily.

8   -   A platform of a staircase where the stair turns back in exactly the reverse direction of the lower flight.  (And here I thought it meant to just take little steps)

9   -   The day before yesterday.  (boy was I way off on this one)

10  -   Old English word for bagpipe.

OK, now tell us, how many did you get right.  I will tell you right now that I got zero right.  You know, if you can't get them all right, you might as well get them all wrong.  Now have a  great day, you hear?

PS  Here is a link to the site that lists the words:
https://voxy.com/blog/2011/03/weird-english-words-from-a-to-z/






6 comments:

  1. I am really disappointed. I didn't know even one of them, and words are what I am best at. I wonder if any other readers know one or more of these words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard any of them before, so don't feel bad.

      Delete
  2. I got a big fat zero. I never even knew those words existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone. I found a whole list of them from A thru Z. I meant to put link to the site on there, so here is the link:
      https://voxy.com/blog/2011/03/weird-english-words-from-a-to-z/

      Delete