Wondering about wild grapes

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Wondering back to the past.

All the holidays are over for awhile and this is a normal day and to a lot of people, it is a let-down.  I figured today would be a good day to take a look at history.  Not just any history but the things that happened on this date (January 2nd) back in days gone by.  I am going to start with a couple of births.  Roger Miller, the singer who told stories in his songs, was born on this day in 1936.  I always enjoyed him and miss him.  Also, the politician, Barry Goldwater, was born on this day in 1909.

A couple of famous people passed away on this date in history.  One of my favorites was Tex Ritter (Woodward Maurice Ritter) who passed away from an heart attack just before his 69th birthday.  How many of you remember Dick Powell?  He also passed away on this date in 1963.

Going back a few years to 533 AD, Mercurius becomes Pope John II, the first pope to adopt a new name upon elevation to the papacy.  Then Urbain Le Verrier figured that there was another planet between the sun and Mercury.  He called this planet Vulcan.  So, it was Verrier who gave Mr. Spock his home. . .(No, there is no planet there)  So, what all is happening in your life on this second day of 2014?  What ever it is, I hope you all have a great day, you hear?

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I suppose that the knees will be the last to heal. Now you have an excuse incase B.B. beats you at golf.

      Delete
  2. The kids went back to school today. Then the snow started falling and falling. Might be no school tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long time since I have seen snow. But I can sure remember it. When I was a young boy we got about four feet of snow just after Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. it's a day of recovery in Casa Loca. Managed to shoehorn the fiver into the area in front of the carport with less than 4 inches to spare on a side through the gate. No scrapes, unless you count racking my brainpan against the bedroom bumpout twice (gots to get some pool noodles, toot suite).-- drew blood once.

    So hanging out, taking a breather. About right for the day after New Year's Day ... even if I didn't party.

    And So It Goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I had a bumper pull, I used to pride myself on my ability to back it into just about anywhere. I don't feel quite as confident with this motor-home.

      Delete
  4. You made me think of the song "Hillbilly Heaven" when you mentioned Tex Ritter.... and I always think of June Allyson when I think of Dick Powell... hummmm.... guess there's no doubt that I'm old ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of the same song when I was writing this and who could forget June Allyson, and yep, I am old along with you.

      Delete
  5. Not a let down for me... I sooo dislike the holidays ... beginning with the first Halloween stuff going on sale. glad it's over and onward ...

    and, yes I remember all of them... didn't know about Vulcan! yes, I think of June Allyson also when I think of Dick Powell.

    And this with Tex Ritter... my older brothers went around the house singing this FOREVER ... lol

    http://youtu.be/65_-vNtWLLs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, holidays are just another day except some of the places I may need to go are closed. I figure at my age, if I get up in the morning that day should be declared a holiday to celebrate.

      Delete
  6. I celebrate with everyone else the passing of the holiday season! Back to what passes for normal for now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://dmarie.com/timecap/step1.asp

    Check this out,, love to make a copy for someone's birthday.

    ReplyDelete